Mum's PP levels still reducing on Cyclo and DEX

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Perkymite 10 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

sandie58
    Participant

My mum has received good news for the second time now. Two months ago her PP levels dropped from 36 to 26, and on her last visit they had dropped again to 16.2 Needless to say we were all very happy including her Consultant. We had worried about her having to go on Thalidomide as she would also have had to have a daily injection of Heparin to prevent blood clots. It seems like adding the DEX to the Cyclo is working for her at the moment. At 87 she is coping really well although she had a bad week last week after having her Zometa infusion again.
    At this rate she will be able to stop treatment after the six months. I guess they would ease her off steroids rather than stopping straight away?? Also would mum continue to have to have the Zometa infusions after she finishes chemo? She wouldn't be very happy about this because it does continue to make her feel unwell and she is still getting some pain in her back/chest. I guess we'll ask the Consultant next time. Just hoping now that mum's breast cancer lump has reduced when we go back on the 24 June. Would be doubly great to receive some more good news:-)
    Love to everyone
    Sandiex

jills
    Participant

Hi Sandie,

Great that your Mum is having a good effect from the drugs. My Mum had the same regime plus thalidomide as her first round of treatment and it worked well, after about 9 months she went onto just a small maintenance dose of cyclophosphamide which kept things at bay for about 2 years. The steroids were just stopped at the end of the last cycle – as they are only once a week they don't really need to reduce them gradually as they would if you had them every day. As to the Zometa, we have been told that Mum should have it every month continuously as it does work to keep the bones strong which is really important for elderly women, most of whom have weaker bones anyway. I hope your Mum finds that easier to cope with in time – my Mum has got used to it and the weekly trip to the hospital does at least give them a chance to check her over regularly.
    Hope you get some good results on Monday too!

Love, Jill x

san
    Participant

Ahh well done to your Mum, it gives me heart when i hear that such elderly patients do so well, lovely news great! love San xxx

mhnevill
    Participant

Hi Sandie

What a wonderful example your Mum is. I do hope she can keep up the Zometa. Is she certain it is that which is causing the problem? I have been on it for over two years and will continue to be.15 months ago, my Consultant was very concerned I would get stress fractures because of how many lesions I had. I haven't had one and I put that down to the Zometa.

Love to your Mum and you!

Mavis x

Perkymite
    Participant

Hi Sandie pleased to hear your Mum is doing well. Yes, your Mum will have to take some form of bone strengthening medicine I think. There are others I believe and if she cannot get on with Zometa perhaps they will try one of them.

At the present time I am on Parmidronate, I have this by infusion once a month. I was diagnosed in Jul 09 and started on Loron, which is tablets form every night. Loron was a pain for me in that you could not eat anything 2 hours before or 2 hours afterwards. When going out or social events I had to work around my Loron.

Kindest regards – Vasbyte.

David

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Mum's PP levels still reducing on Cyclo and DEX’ is closed to new replies.