My Dad Passed Away

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  jenny0 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Clover
    Participant

After a four year battle with Myeloma, my dad passed away on the 9th of December this year after a five week stay in hospital. On his last treatment we could see he was struggling but we didn’t realise how much as he hid it well making it much more of a shock.  We discovered that his lungs had been limited by his height shrinkage as he lost five inches. I want everyone else to be aware of this possibility as it makes infections easier to catch.  I know I was lucky to have him for four years but I am finding it especially tough at this time of year as he loved Christmas and us.  I know he is no longer in pain and I hope we can work together to get rid of this disease.

He had a stem cell treatment which lasted for 18 months and various chemotherapies, none of which seemed to work too well as they always struggled to get him a remission that lasted for longer than six months after the initial transplant.  When he was in remission he was like his old self  active and wanting to spend time with his family. I would like to manage to live my life like my Dad but I am still grieving and finding it so hard at this time of year.

• This topic was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by  Clover.

mhnevill
    Participant

Dear Clover
    I am so sorry to hear that this awful disease has taken your dear Dad after he gave it such a mighty battle.
    I know it must be even more poignant to loose him at this time of year which is supposed to herald hope.
    May you find comfort in many happy memories. Death never has the last word, love does.
    Love to you and your family.
    Mavis x

rosie1961
    Participant

Dear Clover, my thoughts are with you at this time. My dad died on 5 Dec after many years with Myeloma.

I hope that you are able to find peace, but it is early days and it’s ok to grieve. Give yourself time.

jenny0
    Participant

Dear Clover,

i am just emailing as I’m new to this site and found your story and can relate to it. Im very  sorry to hear about your loss, i hope you are coping ok and have other family support around to help pick u up when needed.

I am dreading the day already as my dad was only diagnosed in January (he’s 72) he has had 4 cycles of VTD but they’ve had to stop it as he’s been so so weak in his legs he can’t walk far at all. It’s extremely heart breaking to see already and I pray if he gets the sct that it works and we get a minimum of 18 months good remission and I hope like your dad will get to feel like his old self .

Its still early days but this illness is a terrible one, it’s debilitating and causes so much pain . I hope one day they find a cure .

Can I ask , do you know what stage your dad was at when he was diagnosed .?

Kind regards

Jennifer

mhnevill
    Participant

Dear Jennifer,

Welcome to this site. I am sure you will find it helpful. I certainly did in the early years of my diagnosis in 2010. You asked about staging of the disease. One thing I have learnt is, it doesn’t really matter. This is a very individual disease and everyone reacts differently to the treatment. I am so sorry your dad is really struggling. Have they suggested changing his drug regime?

I haven’t had an SCT and I am still here to tell the tale. I am 73.

If you are going to post again I suggest you go onto one of the other strands as it may mean you get more answers,

Best wishes to your dad and to all the family.

Mavis x

jenny0
    Participant

Hello Mavis

Thank you for writing to me and welcoming me to the site , which I think is brilliant.  I have looked and responded to some of the other strands and again everyone is so open about what they’re going through, or have been through to which some are very positive and some not so . I appreciate what you said in regards to the staging as your right about it all being so individual and my dads nurse consultant also said all treatment is individualised and that it didn’t really matter either .

Do you mind me asking how long ago you was diagnosed ? And why didn’t you go for SCT ?

My dad doesn’t want to know too much about it all , he just wants to go with what ever  the doctor says and has faith in them they are looking after his best welfare (which they are) he is hoping the horrible painful part of this journey will be over soon.  We all do of course and will be grateful when we see some improvement in his quality of life .

Are you under going treatment at the moment ?

Best regards

Jennifer

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘My Dad Passed Away’ is closed to new replies.