My SCT Experience

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  mulberry 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

maldemer
    Participant

Happy New Year everyone! Given the concerns and thoughts about Stem Cell Tranplants I thought I’d set out my own ‘story’ in case anybody finds it helpful. Context is that I’m a 64yo White Male, diagnosed with Myeloma in Spring 2022 and, following 4 cycles of DVDT induction, had my SCT on 28th Oct. I’d prepared myself for a fairly unpleasant experience based on others’ accounts but had steeled myself that regardless of how bad it might prove, the long term benefits would definitely outweigh any short term unpleasantness. I still firmly believe this. Having said that, it’s clear in retrospect that I escaped the worst consequences of the Melphalan dose taken the day before the transplant and had a comparatively easy ride…..
    Watching the Melphalan going in was a bit daunting, but the mood was definitely lifted 24hrs later when I watched all those lovely, clean stem cells pouring back into my PICC line! After that, it was just a question of waiting, and waiting, for the chemo to take effect. As I said, I was very, very fortunate… I’d sucked about a dozen ice pops during the Melphalan dose to reduce its impact on my mouth and throat and, a mild soreness and a single mouth ulcer aside, I had no significant consequences from this aspect. Although I didn’t feel exactly 100 percent in the week following the SCT I had no obvious side effects (slight loss of appetite aside) until about day 8 when mild diarrhoea set in. No nausea/vomiting though, as I was already taking anti-emetics and the diarrhoea was kept under some sort of control with medication. On about day 9 or 10 I started to lose facial and body hair but throughout the entire period I never felt worse than a bit ‘under the weather’. Although I couldn’t settle down to read, I didn’t feel bored (even with very restrictive visiting hours), and (immediate family aside) I shut myself off from the distraction of messages on social media, asking all contacts to direct queries/wishes etc etc via my wife. Others, of course, will want to do exactly the opposite for entirely valid, personal reasons. I felt safe and secure in my (air locked) room and the nursing team were highly professional and helpful. I was declared ready for discharge on 11th November but, as my wife had contracted Covid, couldn’t go home until 14th November. I’m now nearing the end of 2 cycles of DVDT ‘consolidation’ before going onto Lenalidomide maintenance after a forthcoming prostatectomy (but that’s another story!). I have a bone marrow biopsy in a fortnight to determine the exact level of success of the SCT.
    So that’s my story – I wanted to set it out because I wanted people to know that the SCT path isn’t necessarily one of misery and pain; I was one of the fortunate ones and I acknowledge that there are many others who have had (or will have) a worse time of it. Nevertheless, I remain convinced that no matter how tough the SCT might prove, it’s worth it. Feel free to ask any questions you might have. Nick

tony642

Hi Nick,

Thankyou for posting that, I am sure it would be very useful for those who are undecided about having SCT. It has to be a personal decision, but like you, I have no regrets about having it, I just wish someone had told me about the Melphalan and ice pops thing as I did suffer from mucositis.

Regards, Tony

kh0305

Happy New Year Nick!
    Thank you so much for sharing your story. As you mention, there are often queries on here about the SCT process and experience as it is understandably an unknown and worrying time, so having your story here is so helpful to those who have SCT coming up or are trying to make the decision as to whether or not to have SCT xx

maldemer
    Participant

PS I had enough stem cells harvested to enable a second transplant if needed, and I would willingly go through the whole SCT process again.

mulberry
    Participant

But I hope you don’t have to consider another SCT for a long, long time. (Thanks to lenalidomide maintenance which we are now able to have, thanks to Myeloma UK)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.