Pain Type

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  mhnevill 9 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

susie
    Participant

I read on here that bone pain is a symptom of Myeloma. I wonder if I could ask a silly question. Following my last MGUS check showing my paraprotein is up to 36. I also have extensive OA which seems to be getting worse lately, sometimes waking me at night. Can someone just describe the type of pain they get. I am wondering if the pains I’m getting are in fact connected to the MGUS.

kp
    Participant

Hi Susie, I have read a little on the internet as my Consultant had said don’t wait until I have pain before rescheduling appt if any changes. Changes he suggested were really quite subtle and related to renal function.

One of the American sites says it is important to tell your doctor straight away about any new pain as they might want to xray just to check. The other symptoms the site described are the types of pain I get in my shoulders,hips and elbows ( I have some arthritic changes) so not very helpful really.

I wonder ( if you have not already done so) if you should get in contact with your Consultant and move your appt forward. It would be a reassurance I hope if they are able to confirm the pain you experience is related to OA and perhaps give you advice re anti inflammatory meds and pain relief as your sleep is being disturbed by breakthrough pain.

Your GP might be another person to ask.

Best wishes

Karen

susie
    Participant

Hi Karen.

Thanks so much for your reply. My pain is only present when I move, which I assume is mechanical pain from my arthritis. When sitting or lying I don’t have any pain apart from my hip, which wakes me sometimes. Once I move position it goes. So I assume my pains are down to arthritis. I just wondered if the pain they talk about is aching,stabbing, etc in description and if its on movement or all the time.
    Keep well
    Susie

graemeandrewartha
    Participant

Hi Susie

My main pain now is in the left leg/hip area which is where the bone has eroded. I like you am ok when sat or lying in bed. Its that sudden involuntary movement that hurts the most. I am  fine once I am up and moving around, it eases a lot until the next sit down.

I am trying not to take to many pain killers and have got used to it and get prepared for each shift in movement.

Hope that helps

Graeme

finn
    Participant

Hi Susie

I experience pain when I put weight on the bones which is while walking (hip and upper leg) and bending down (rib and lower back). It is sort of dull aching pain, at least in my case. The pain has not gone away even when the myeloma cells are gone which I assume is because of unrepairable bone damage. All the best

susie
    Participant

Thanks all for your replies.

I’ve been to physio today. She feels this back pain is caused by arthritis but has taken xrays to confirm, so I am feeling a bit more confident that the cause while show itself. I’ve got to go back in 4 weeks for results and to see if the exercises she’s given me are working.

Keep well all of you

Susie

kp
    Participant

Hi Susie,

I hope you are feeling reassured, good luck with the exercises. I will be interested to know how you get on.

Best wishes Karen

mhnevill
    Participant

Hi Susie

I also have OA. I asked my Consultant if I could get new bone pain while in remission, as my back pain had got considerably worse. I thought he might order another X-ray. In fact, what he said was encouraging. He said, as I was in remission, there was no PP in the blood to do bone damage so it must be down to OA.

When I had the MM pain around my ribs it was like a deep bruising type pain!

Hope things go well with you.

Mavis x

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Pain Type’ is closed to new replies.