Pancytopenic?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  KeithH17 11 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

KeithH17
    Participant

Hello everyone received a letter from my local hospital(copy to GP) with reference to my recent BMB.
    Apparently I am becoming Pancytopenic and my Monoclone(PP's) has doubled.
    In other words I have a reduction of red/white blood cells and also platelets…here we go again!
    I won't know anything for sure until 7th June but I'm not expecting anything good,it's just par for the course with MM and we just have to get on with it.
    There's still a lot of things I want to do and places I want to visit while I'm still around and a good 2yrs clear run would be great but we shall see.
    I'll update you all soon as I know anything…fingures crossed all will be well.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Keith.H.

Perkymite
    Participant

It never stops does it:-) Pancytopenic :-S I have been on this site since 2009 and there always seems to be something new.

Best of luck, I hope it is not as bad as you fear.

Kindest regards – vasbyte

David

tom
    Participant

Hi Keith

Well this is another new one for me? aint a clue what it is nor what causes it?

Hope its soon sorted out Keith I bet your well fed up with all this stuff. Keep strong and fight the begger like I know you will

Tom "Onwards and Upwards"

mhnevill
    Participant

Hi Keith

Keep fighting!!! If you were a nursing mother, they'd say take stout for the red cells – do whatever is the MM equivilent!

Best wishes.

Mavis x

Perkymite
    Participant

That is a good point – [u][b]Drink Guinness [/b][/u];-)

kindest regards – vasbyte

David

DaiCro
    Participant

As I understand it Pancytopenia is either a hereditary condition or one brought about by treatment, mainly chemotherapy or related treatments. I have had a serious blood problem since early childhood… my treatments and medicines have been varied and sometimes exotic and along with Leukemia, Sickle-Cell Anaemia, and Sideroblastic Anaemia, Pancytopenia was one of the options considered.

It turned out to be a hereditary condition handed down from my Romany ancestors and was held in check by something as simple as Pyridoxine (Vitamin B6) and according to my consultant totally non-related to my MM. Anaemia 'Better Medicine' explains it thus:

[quote]Pancytopenia is a deficiency of all types of blood cells, including white blood cells, red blood cells, and platelets. It occurs when your body cannot produce enough blood cells because the bone marrow stem cells that form blood cells do not function normally. Pancytopenia has widespread effects on the entire body by leading to oxygen shortage as well as problems with immune function. Aplastic anemia is a medical term that refers to a decrease in production of all types of blood cells.

Pancytopenia occurs in two forms: idiopathic, in which the cause is not known, but is often autoimmune, meaning that the body attacks its own tissues as foreign substances; and secondary, often caused by environmental factors. Approximately half of all pancytopenia cases are idiopathic. In other cases, viral infections, radiation or chemotherapy treatments, drug reactions, and exposure to toxins may precipitate the development of pancytopenia.[/quote]

In Keith's case I imagine the second cause most likely… and can most likely be treated by the medics. If medicine caused it then surely medicine can change and cure it.

I wish you the best Keith and hopefully you will be able to report back soon with some good news.:-)

Dai.

Helen
    Participant

Dear Keith
    That's a bit of a 'b……' have you managed to get away as planned?
    When I was expelled from the blood bank in 2010 it was because I had a pancytopaenia, the mm cells occupied the space in the bone marrow so the normal cells have no room to form.
    What is the next step for you now?
    Love Helen

KeithH17
    Participant

Hello Helen, I go away 16th June so another 9 days to go.
    Yes it was a bit of a so and so but nothing I can do about it unfortunately.
    I have a blood test today before the Zometa in the morning and then see the Consultant in the afternoon.
    I'll be surprised if I haven't relapsed for the second time as everything would seem to point to the fact that I have.
    Either way I'm looking forward to my holiday and MM can go to that place where Lucifer hangs out and stay there.
    I'll post to let you know what the outcome is as soon as I've seen the Doctor today.
    How are you keeping and did you enjoy your holiday on the other side of the world?
    I want to go to OZ when England defend the ashes and then onto Tasmania where I've always wanted to go.
    If god allows me that I'll be more than grateful.

Take care Helen…Keith.

Helen
    Participant

Hi Keith
    Yes, got to get the priorities right and go for the holiday, I totally agree.
    I thoroughly enjoyed our trip, my sister was an absolutely brilliant tour guide and our well placed relatives meant we could stay with them for huge chunks of time. So we travelled round the North Island quite a bit. We hired a fabulous beach house for the last week so they could all visit us for a bit of r&r. My husband, reluctant to go initially, is now planning a return trip! Interestingly, I too want to go to Tasmania, not on this trip though as its easier to get there via Sydney, so maybe next time, with a flight there then on to NZ. My kiwi niece in law has never been there or south island so a plan is evolving as we speak!
    How did today go?
    Love Helen

KeithH17
    Participant

Hi Helen well just as I thought I've relapsed for the second time and have been penciled in for a clinical trial.
    I'll put more details in a new post asap.

Take care.

Love and best wishes… Keith.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Pancytopenic?’ is closed to new replies.