Paraprotein levels after SCT

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  rael 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

jbal
    Participant

Hi
    Husband had first SCT in Sept and still has a detectable PP of approx 6.4 70 days after transplant. Has dropped slightly as was 8 prior to SCT.

We are a bit deflated and disappointed as has hoped to have an undetectable PP level by the end of treatment but maybe this was unrealistic when before induction it had risen to 56!!

Anyone else have a similar PP level after SCT? Just wondering what impact this may have on length of remission. Due to start Lenalidamide in a few weeks and hoping this may drop PP level further.

Thanks
    Jane

mulberry
    Participant

I’m sorry that your husband’s SCT hasn’t had the result you had hoped. However as with so many aspects of myeloma, statistically poorer indicators do not necessarily reflect poorer outcomes. A member of our local support group had a first SCT 10 years ago and was left with evident paraproteins, which remained at a constant level between 5 & 6 until this summer when they started to rise and myeloma became active again. This MM patient didn’t have access to lenalidomide maintenance either, which statistically would have nearly doubled the period of inactive disease.
    I believe some MM patients go into an MGUS like state, and like my friend appears to have had, and despite evident pps had no problems until the myeloma became active again. Also it can take a year or so for the full effects of SCT to become apparent. Another member of the group had pps which continued to fall over the first year after SCT so there must be the possibility of your husband’s pps continuing to fall. I’m sure that the next few blood tests will be an anxious time for you both, but I hope they show a downward movement, or at least no movement at all.
    Even those of us fortunate enough to have no evident pps after SCT are very likely to have some level of minimal residual disease, but outside trials this is not measured in the UK. Lenalidomide maintenance really does help keep that residual disease at bay, and I’m so pleased that people like your husband can have it after SCT.

jbal
    Participant

Thank you Mulberry. That is very reassuring.
    Jane

s-e-b
    Participant

Hi

I’m in a similar situation, I had an SCT in July and my paraprotein level is 3g/L.
    It’s a disappointment as I thought the SCT would hammer it for a while, I have odd cytogenetics which might be part of it.
    Maintenance treatment has started today.
    The consultant said they start worrying if it goes up high, does anyone know what high is?

rael
    Participant

Hi jbal. My husband had his SCT 3 years ago. His paraproteins levels from both M1 and M2 bands combined before the transplant were 15 (6 and 9) After the SCT It was still the same. He was devastated. However the levels remained stable for over 2 years and consultant said this was his remission. There was no maintenance medication on offer at this time. His levels are only now starting to increase very slowly. So far he has had almost 3 years feeling pretty good. Hope that’s belpful

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.