query

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Wink 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

jmraquel
    Participant

hi there, my mom has multiple myeloma diagnosed last august 2014. on october of the same year she had arm fracture and refuses surgery until now. just wana ask do u know what wil hapen to the fracture? thanks

ellen

I am sorry that no one, as yet, has replied to your post; I hope this won’t put you off posting on the Forum in the future.

Unfortunately bone damage, fractures and pain are common problems in myeloma. Patients who are receiving treatment for their myeloma should also be on a drug to protect their bones, to reduce calcium levels and to help with pain. These drugs are called bisphosphonates and whilst they cannot repair damage that has already been done, they go a long way to preventing future damage and fractures. The bisphosphonate most commonly prescribed is called zoledronic acid (formerly known as Zometa) but there are others as well..

It may still be possible for your mum to have surgery for her fracture; however, there may have already been a degree of healing to the area which might make this quite difficult.  A referral to an orthopaedic surgeon may be necessary – they would be able to determine if this was still possible after such a length of time.

Myeloma UK produces an Infoguide which tells you a little more about myeloma bone disease, you can download it from this site or, alternatively, I could post one out to you.

I hope this has been of some help, but if you have any further questions, would like to talk things through or would like to receive the Infoguide I mentioned,  please feel free to call the Myeloma Infoline on 0800 980 3332 – I or one of my colleagues can clarify things for you further. Alternatively you can email directly to askthenurse@myeloma.org.uk

With best wishes

Ellen

alchemist
    Participant

I had a fracture of the left humerus due to myeloma and was measured for a false upper arm at the Royal Orthopeidict Hospital. In the end it was decided that the fracture would heal on its own and that is what happened. Hope that happens to you

Wink
    Participant

Hi john some good news in the circumstances could be worse, hang on there buddy.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘query’ is closed to new replies.