Radiotherapy Questions

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  taffd 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

karl66
    Participant

Hi

I’ve recently been diagnosed with Plasmacytoma and I’m having 4 weeks of daily Radiotherapy soon.

My questions are:

What does Radiotherapy feel like as it’s done?

Are there any side effects that anyone has experienced?

Are there any feelings of fatigue or pain afterward?

How long after Radiotherapy does it usually take to get the results about if it has worked?

Thanks

paulapurple
    Participant

I had radiotherapy as, along with the Myeloma I also had Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma which manifested as a tumour behind my right eye. You can’t feel the radiotherapy as it’s being done but you will hear a lot of noise from the machine. I had bursts in three different places so it moved around me and makes a noise when it moves. It’s not like an MRI where you move through the machine. You lay on a similar thing but the machine does all the moving. You will see lights.

Side effects wise it did seem to affect my appetite and I did lose some weight, which I put back on over subsequent months. The only other side effects I had were headaches, which stopped when the radiotherapy stopped, but that may be particular to me as mine was to the head.

I did feel a bit tired afterwards but this was minimal and I certainly didn’t feel any pain other than the headaches I have described above.

Your last question is it depends on you and your individual circumstances. I had it every day for two and a half weeks. Two weeks later I had a consultant appointment and learned it had shrunk it.

Hope this was helpful to you.

Paula

karl66
    Participant

Hi Paula

Thanks for sharing your Radiotherapy experience, it was very helpful.

I’ve got my first session next week on Tuesday 30th Jan.

So hopefully things will all go well.

Kind regards

Karl

taffd
    Participant

Where’s your plasmacytoma?

karl66
    Participant

Hi Taff

Plasmacytoma was found in collapsed L3 vertebrae bone of my spine, when I had a CT guided biopsy.

Regards

Karl

taffd
    Participant

Hi again Karl,

‘Fraid I’m not going to be of much help as my plasmacytoma was in my pelvis. About 3 months after mine finished I got colitis which turned to sepsis. Emergency life-saving op to remove sigmoid colon and now I have 2 bags.

So RT side effects can be mild or severe and can occur years afterwards.

Best o’ luck

Taff

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by  taffd.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Radiotherapy Questions’ is closed to new replies.