Radiotherapy

This topic contains 18 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Gaye 13 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Min
    Participant

Thanks you Gaye
    The itching has stopped for Peter But continues for me so I am just taking anti histamins daily.
    Peters nurse told us that for the purpose of travel insurance, Revlamid is classed as a therapy or treatment not chemo, and if it means that I can get cheaper travel insurance then I will go with her explanation.
    I have paid into a travel ins at work for 20yrs and had no problems when he got mm; but when I am no longer working and have to buy my insurance like everyone else I know they dont like you to be undergoing chemotherapy. She told us that it is classed as a maintenance treatment once it works and he will stay on it.
    Right now we are praying that the Tuesday clinic day will be posative and if so we are going to chase some sun to celebrate 40 yrs of nagging!
    He knows I nag and I know when to stop so we get by, though he is testing my patience with the water intake at the moment.
    His swelling is fine for now but if he doesnt keep the water intake up he goes haywire again.
    I hope he is over the initial problems as he has just finished the 1st packet and doing OK. so more fingers crossed.
    Hope your pain is getting better when do you get the RT
    LuvMin

Gaye
    Participant

Dear Min – Thanks for the info on Revlimid and its classification. You never stop learning with myeloma and I am happy to go on learning!

I truly hope that you get a good result at clinic next week so that you can chase the sun. Perhaps we could all be on that awful Coach Trip programme where they all bicker and vote each other off. The Myeloma Special!

I start the RT next Thursday on the lower thoracic and lumbar region so I hope for some relief with the pain.

I wish you a very good weekend. Much love to you both.

Gaye xx

Perkymite
    Participant

I am getting slightly confused here, can you help me out Gaye! I thought RT, Radiotherapy, was used to kill off tumours and the like, how do they use it in the treatment of a fractured bone?

Sorry if I am being a bit of numpty:-S
    Kindest regards

David

Gaye
    Participant

Hello David – not half as a numpty as me over this one. I am told that my completely crushed T6 vertebra is unlikely to respond to kyphoplasty and could cause more damage than help. The bone is diseased with myeloma cells and by using RT it attacks the cells, hopefully killing many of them and thereby relieving the pain. This is my understanding David but I won't say how true it all is as the three consultants involved in this from different hospitals have their own rationale supporting their case. There is no tumour I believe so the RT is meant to attack myeloma cells.

If anyone else can come up with a theory on this I would love to know but my greatest wish is to be relieved on pain. Thanks for asking the question David – it is also one that has been bothering me since both methods were suggested.

Love, Gaye x

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Radiotherapy’ is closed to new replies.