Renal failure

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Georgina 12 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Jess
    Participant

Hi there,
    I just have a quick question for anyone in the know. My mum was diagnosed with MM almost 4 years ago at age 51 and has had all sorts of treatment with varying degrees of success.
    After suffering some acute pain in her leg xrays showed some holes in her femur and she had a femoral nailing done last week. After the op her kidney function has deteriorated rapidly and there is now talk of her having to have dialysis.
    I'm wondering if any of you have had this and your experiences. Is it possible to come off dialysis if the kidneys recover enough?
    Thanks
    Jess

Roz
    Participant

Hi Jess
    Sorry about your mum,

I believe you can come off dialisis if your mums kidneys recover enough, but I also believe its something different hospitals do with and for different patients. Michael was on and off all types of treatments while he was here and this was one of them.

All the best to you and your mum
    Roz

BADGER
    Participant

Hello Jess

I am not sure about coming off dialysis they told me it could be possible when I was diagnosed I had a GFR of 10 nearly went on to dialysis but had a slight improvement possibly due to the high dose of steriod I now have about 20-25% kidney use so your mums kidney could improve enough to avoid it i was 61 when diagnosed

Love Jo x

michelleakitt29
    Participant

Hi Jess
    I cant help you on this one but would like to wish you good luck with your mum.
    with much love michelle x x

tom
    Participant

Hi Jess
    And sorry I cant help on this one? just wanted to wish you well, and add you could poss phone the Nurse and ask them am sure they could help on this one.

Hugs

Tom xx

Jess
    Participant

Thanks everyone for your kind comments, mum is talking to the consultant today.

Georgina
    Participant

Hi Jess

In 2009 my mum was neutropenic and developed septicaemia and ended up in ITU. She had acute renal failure with very high levels of creatinine and poor kidney function. They were about to start dialysis but then decided to wait and monitor. They told us there was a good chance her kidneys wouldn't recover and she would require dialysis. Lucklily she made a full recovery and her kidneys returned to normal.

I hope your mum gets better soon.
    Take care
    George

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Renal failure’ is closed to new replies.