Second Opinion

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  jeff605 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

jeff605
    Participant

A friend of mine who also has myeloma was telling me he has a suspicion that he is going to be told there is no more can be done for him, and will not be offered any more medication. We were talking about asking for a second opinion, and realised we hadn;t got a clue as to how you go about it.Such things as due you have a choice as to where you go for it, do you get opposition to the request from your present team, etc. are all things we know nothing about. Any help gratefully received please. Jeff

eve
    Participant

Hi jeff

There should be no problems asking your consultant for a second opinion, Slims consultant did not hesitate ,I think it is normal procedure when your own hospital feel they can do no more, we had no problems,and were seen by new consultant within 3 weeks. Be prepared to travel as it involves going out of your area.

We still go to see the old consultant,but not so often,I think they like to keep in the loop,they also get letters from new hospital,doctor and Slim receive letters as well,

All though it’s a long journey for us,it has been well worth while,some times it takes 3 hours just to get there,but once he is seen,it goes very quick,bloods then an hours wait then platelets and Velcade . We have made contingency plans if he is unable to do the journey in one day. Eve

blessthischick
    Participant

Hi there

I asked for a second opinion last week and got it no probs. In fact my consultant was lovely about it. Furthermore some1 told me that I could ask for a third opinion if I want.

The only things my consultant wanted prior to referring me was a repeat bmb and a chat about what I want to achieve from the referral. I just said I wanted to see if the consultant in London had any more to add to my case & that was it. Sorted. Bmb next wk and hopefully off to London very soon after.

Good luck with your friend x

jeff605
    Participant

Hallo, thanks to both of you for the quick reply, that seems easy enough. Fortunately ( ? ) we live on the borders of two authorities so the travel involved shouldn’t be too far for my friend. His next consultant meeting is very soon so I shall pass on your comments today just in case he has bad news. Thanks again Jeff

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Second Opinion’ is closed to new replies.