Seeing surgeon Any advice

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Roz 13 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Roz
    Participant

Hi All

Michael is seeing the surgeon at last this week!! He wants me to be there too, so after asking what days I could do, he chose one of the days I had something else on, so now I've got a very busy day on Wednesday.Shopping in the day and sheffield in the evening.

I've got to work out what to say to make him do it now while Michael is steady. Due to him fluctuating like he does I believe if they leave it too long then he will go down hill. Have you any idea what I can say to push him into doing the op?

He was on bloods today for anemia once again, so the downwards is on it's way.

Let you know what happens and if Michael stays or what.

Love Roz

DaiCro
    Participant

Hi Roz,

Not having been in this position I find it hard to offer advice – however I can offer an opinion based on what you have told us about Michael's previous option, conditions and reactions.

It seems to me that:

a). The operation will enable Michael's arm to be secured against further infection – and that:

b). If the arm is made good and infection free then he can resume essential chemo treatment. Which:

c). Will give him a chance to get some invaluable remission or partial remission (with or without maintenance regimes) that will give him some quality of life and freedom from the stresses of ongoing treatments. Which will:

d). Give Michael back his dignity and ability to be himself with all the attendant benefits for you.

For me its a no brainer because it is a real, bona fide chance for c) and d) which you both deserve. What you need to know from the surgeon is just how good those chances are. From all I know about this damned disease it would seem that those chances are very good indeed; that Michael has had some damned bad luck topped up with deep rooted infections that can be tackled if and when his arm is mended. Michael has not had the opportunity for the second/third/fourth phase medicine that will give him a shot at c) and d) – so he must be shown/told that those opportunities are real and start with a) and b).

I understand that the disappointment of his relapse followed so closely by a series of painful and distressing fractures, infections and illness has sapped his positivity and his vision for hope. Make sure the surgeon knows this and that he does his best to convince Michael by giving him something to look forward to – if he comes on board and allows the procedures to kickstart his future.

I truly hope this happens.

Dai.

tom
    Participant

Hi Roz

Good Luck to you both on Weds, am sure they will choose the best for Michael.

"Cyber Hug" On its way for Both of you xxxx

Roz
    Participant

Thanks you two, hugs are fab too
    My brain is full trying to work out what to say. Michael's consultant wants us to push for this op, so hope I don't let anyone down

Roz

Min
    Participant

Roz
    I think I would want to know if he has done anything of this nature before;
    I would also want to know if he was the one who did the first operation, why it went so badly wrong, and if he is the one who is going to attempt to do it again what assurances he can give that the second op will be more successful than the one before. Is he for instance going to ensure he gets rid of all the infection and can he assure you that he will not introduce more infection and make him ill again. From my recollection you said he got poor care in the hospital where he had the op, ask for his assurance that they will treat him better, and return him to his present hospital as soon as in order that he can continue to recover as he is at present.
    Most important that they do not make him ill to the point that he has to spend a further 9weeks recovering. Maybe he needs to use some innovative dressings. I know that there are some available with silver or something in them that kill off all infections made by a company called convatec.
    I only know of them because my daughter has them as a client, and she told me of them.
    Hope this helps
    Min
    PS good luck and a hug

Roz
    Participant

Thanks Min

I'll try my best to ask these sorts of questions.

Thanks for hug too.

Roz

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Seeing surgeon Any advice’ is closed to new replies.