Starting again

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Michele 11 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Menthonfan
    Participant

Hello. Started treatment my CTD treatment 25th March which coincided with my being ill with a virus. Ended up in hospital for 1 week with heavy dose of antibiotics. The good news is that the thalidomide part of the treatment has already reduced my para-protein but have to wait a while to recover before I resume my CTD treatment.

Seeing my consultant tomorrow to discuss when to start CTD or he may decide to try another treatment plan. Nervous about starting treatment as I had such a bad start. Any words of encouragement out there?

bandityoga
    Participant

Hi

My husband started on CDT but had to stop to let a back wound heal. He wasn't tolerant of it first time but when they restarted after 6 weeks he was fine. His light chains are now 54 and he has had an excellent response. Give it another try as it really works.

Maureen

Eva
    Participant

Hi- I see no reason why an alternative treatment must be started. Many of us have had set-backs and interruptions and then gone on to continue a cycle. After a couple of lots of CDT I had some heavy side-effects with dizziness to the point of temporary unconsciousness. I stopped treatment for about ten days and then began again gradually.
    After my first relapse, and after having been on steroids for a number of months, I got a week of myopathy: a kind of loss of muscle control. Again, my treatment was stopped and started again successfully.
    So sorry about your virus- good luck.
    Eva

Helen
    Participant

Hi I agree with Eva here, the drug arsenal for mm is still small so if a drug works and you can tolerate the side effects it's worth persisting and getting as much mileage out of it for as long as possible, then using it again in the future if you can. I have now spent the last 2 years on Revlimid with a few months off over transplant but each time I had any infection (I've had about 8) I've had an extra few days off it to recover then back on it again. I'm beginning to relapse now but I'm ok really, been back at work full time for nearly a year. I will move to velcade sometime in the future when the levels go up high enough. I'd grit my teeth and keep going if it is working so well for you.
    Love Helen

mhnevill
    Participant

Hi

Welcome from me. Like everyone else I'd encourage you to continue with CDT. I had a sickness episode and was in hospital for a week and I had shingles, but six months on from the end of six cycles, and still in remission, I am glad I had it.

All best wishes.

Mavis

tom
    Participant

Hi Joanna

Welcome
    Sorry you came off CTD due to being sick, but am sure you will go back on it it, its a good treatment worked for me in 2009 and yes I was sick with it off and on two stints in hospital (Early days) but stuck with it and here I am in 2013 in remission and drug free 😀

Now how's that for "words of encouragement" Good luck in your Journey to remission.

Tom Onwards and upwards xx

Michele
    Participant

If the CTD mad such an impression on the MM after just one cycle, I too would stick to it.
    Getting the virus was just very unfortunate, but shouldn't cause a drastic change of treatment plan.

It took 6 cycles to get me into remission. It was pretty gruelling but well worth it. The drugs did their job and the side effects all turned out to be temporary.

Very best wishes.

Michele

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Starting again’ is closed to new replies.