Stem Cell Harvest

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  maldemer 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

maldemer
    Participant

Good morning! I am starting cycle 4 of DVDT and have been given a mid-September date for a stem cell harvest prior to SCT (the date of which has yet to be confirmed). My question is : is there a recovery time needed after the harvest or am I likely to be able to resume ‘normal’ activities very quickly after the 1 or 2 days needed as a day-patient whilst they do the harvest?? Many thanks in advance. Nick

mulberry
    Participant

Good morning Nick,
    Some people (not all, I didn’t) have bone pain prior to harvest due to the drugs used to encourage the stem cells out of the bone marrow into the bloodstream, but you shouldn’t have pain or discomfort afterwards. Actually you are likely to feel really well, apart from the anxiety of the approaching SCT. You will be free of all the side effects of the induction treatment, your myeloma level will be minimal, and you are likely to feel better than you have in months.

maldemer
    Participant

Thanks Mulberry. Very reassuring news. I’ve actually suffered very few side effects from the DVDT thus far, just a bit of fatigue and jitters/emotional ups & downs courtesy of the dexamethasone!! 👍

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.