Stem Cell Timeline

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

user1203
    Participant

Could someone help me understand the timeline and feelings of stem cell.
    Day 1 – Chemo
    Day 2 – stem cells
    From then on how will the patient feel on days 3-6. 6-9 (heard this is when infection rate highest) 9-12 etc. Up until they leave.
    Aware this differs for everyone but generally.

mulberry
    Participant

As you say this can differ, in several respects.
    For me, with some kidney damage, I had an extra day between chemo (melphalan) and the return of my stern cells.
    I had visited a friend during her SCT who had been violently and continuously sick from day 1 for over two weeks and went home feeling poorly.
    For me the process was much more benign. Days 1&2 I felt ok, it’s a bit weird being in hospital, being woken up several times a night, so a bit tired, but perfectly well.
    Day 3 diarrhoea kicked in but still felt well
    Days 3 to 8 felt reasonably well, just tired and could only eat what I fancied.
    Days 9,10 & 11 waves of nausea, but little actual sickness, just needed to sleep most of the time. Could still eat, but had to eat as soon as I felt hungry or I was sick.
    Day 12 by lunchtime could feel myself getting better hour by hour and knew I was over it, an elating feeling.
    Someone in my support group wasn’t sick once and had no diarrhoea at all.
    It really isn’t possible who will react in which way- I’ve always been such quite easily so expected a lot of sickness, but didn’t (until after discharge which resulted in being readmitted for a few days, but even then I didn’t feel really poorly)
    However you feel, you will be well looked after, the staff in the units used for SCT are wonderful.

kevin
    Participant

Hello

As you said and Mulberry said it differs for everyone. I have had 2 SCT and they were both different in how I fel. I had my stem cells harvested about 2 weeks before going into hospital. I had my high dose chemo the day after i was admitted and then 2 days later had my stem cells put back in. during my first SCT back in 2007 I don’t remember feeling too bad with the main thing being a loss of appetite. I was in hospital for about 16 days. My second transplant I had in 2013. Same treatment timing but this time as well as the loss pf appetite I remember not feeling as well and was in hospital for about 18 days. My discharge was dependent on my bodies imune system to come back to a level able to fight infection. The hardest part for me each time was trying to pass the time while in hospital.
    Each SCT gave me about 4 1/2 years full remission. I relapsed again in 2017. Finished treatment and maintenance in Nov 2019 and am again at the moment in full remission.
    Best wishes
    Kevin

Anonymous

Hello User 1203,
    Yes it does sound very confusing to begin with, especially as it definitely varies from person to person. I had my SCT in July/August of this year and for me it went like this:
    Day 1 – chemo
    Day 2 – half of my stem cells
    Day 3 – the other half of my stem cells
    The sickness and diarrhoea started quite quickly and were bad for about 10 days and it took longer than that before food tasted nice and was enjoyable again, maybe about a month. This time I was only in hospital for 17 days 🙂 The whole experience was so much better than my first transplant where I was in for 5 weeks because I got pneumonia. It was winter that time and also I think lots of things have improved. The anti-sickness medication was better than in 2013, for one thing. Also, the nurses on the ward were very insistent about giving me protein drinks such as Scandi shakes (quite nice) and Fortisips (avoid the banana one for sure….) as apparently you need about double the normal amount of protein to build up the new bone marrow. I think that all helped.
    I didn’t find the ‘no visitors’ rule as hard as I thought I would (apart from saying ‘goodbye’ to my husband outside the ward) because I just rested a lot and didn’t have to pretend or deal with the stress of the side effects with other people present. And Zoom is very handy for staying in touch.
    I’m thrilled it is over. I think the thoughts of it are intimidating but it really wasn’t too bad and definitely worth it now that I am feeling much better than I have done for about two years.
    All the best,
    Rachel

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.