Stem cell transplant with kidney failure underway.

This topic contains 55 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  brocho 12 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)
  • Author

Clucky
    Participant

Just thought I'd keep everyone in the picture – Bruce was admitted to Derriford hospital last Sunday. He had dialysis on Monday, then melphalan on Tuesday (because of the renal failure, they gave him a half dose and no extra fluid – working on the theory that this would work the same as a full dose with 6 litres of fluid). He made the most of his 5 ice lollies. 😀

He had dialysis again on Wednesday (the renal team kept a close eye on his fluid balance – they can remove excess).

Thursday was stem cell day. We were impressed with the 'daleks' containing the frozen cells and the team were terrific. The nurses joked I would smell the sweet corn coming up the stairs the next day. (It hit me as I entered the ward and I noticed there were more windows open than usual – me and Bruce had a good laugh about it). 😀 😀

It's Saturday afternoon now, we are sitting in the day room. He's taking the anti sickness pills and sometimes feels a bit queasy, but hasn't been sick yet.

We will keep you all posted.

luv
    Mal & Bruce.

gina45
    Participant

Hi Mal and Bruce,
    I hope everything goes well with the stem cell treatment.not well up on it mum hasnt had stem cell.
    But it sounds like things are going well. please keep us posted
    Take care
    Gina xx

Clucky
    Participant

Thanks, he was as fit as he could be when he was admitted, – lots of tests at the hospital and he played his part by eating as well as he could, getting a bit of exercise and getting out in the fresh air as much as possible.

luv
    Mal & Bruce

gina45
    Participant

Thats the best way to be we always say think positive.
    Im sure he will be fine.
    Gina xx

brocho
    Participant

Hi Mal and Bruce good to hear things are going well Bruce hopefully it wont be long before you are home again You both hve such a positive outlook on things I am sure it will help you get through the rough bits . Mal I hope you try and get some rest too its often much harder watching someone you love going through tough times and even just hospital visiting is exhausting So make sure you take a break now and again , that way you will be fighting fit when Bruce comes home love Bridget x

Clucky
    Participant

Thanks Gina 🙂

Clucky
    Participant

Hi Bridget, he started being sick last night about 1 o'clock. He ate his breakfast – then threw that up. Guess this is the bumpy bit. Dialysis tomorrow should be interesting, but at least he'll be in a side room.

I'm staying in a B&B about 10 mins away from the hospital – it's a 2 hour drive each way from home. I'm at the hospital pretty well all day – I can't rest when he's not under my beady eyes. Neither of us are sleeping very well, we aren't used to being apart.

It's our Wedding Anniversary today. We have been married 18 years:-D I bought a tiny bottle of wine, but think we'll have to save it now.

love to all
    xx

gina45
    Participant

Happy Anniversary to you both
    Gina x

DaiCro
    Participant

Happy Anniversary to you both Mal and Bruce… and our very best wishes for the rest of Bruce's SCT.

I found that the worst part was approximately day 6 to day 11, when I had 'bottomed out' (I counted Day 1 from the day after my Stem Cells were returned). I thought that I was drinking enough fluids… but not enough to satisfy the medics, so I was put on a saline drip.

Getting about is a big enough problem when you are feeling weak and weary and you need a bit of speed if the 'trots' kick in… I am telling you now that the handicap of a drip stand (both as something to haul around and its component time penalties for getting out of bed and unplugging the electrice before starting your runs – pun not intended but its a pity to waste it 🙂 – can be a problem. So if you are around Mal, bully Bruce into keeping up with his fluid intake. My wife Janet caught a good old fashioned cold around the Stem Cell returns and was banned until she was completely better… which was the day before I came home. Extreme worry for her and misery and loneliness for me… until I invented my SCT Olympics – with rules, time-keeping and records. Keeping a blog and sharing with the denizens of this site kept me sane… and the support I received from the forum was beyond measure. 😎

Keep well Mal, ask questions and allow for Bruce being 'out of it' for a lot of the time. Personally, I felt as dry as a bone, tired without necessarily being sleepy and completely drained of physical energy… but allowing for the runs, a total lack of appetite and the feeling that my skin was stretched too tight for my frame… I didn't feel 'ill' or 'sick' in the normal senses of the word.

The daily blood tests for Bruce's Neutrofils will start soon… and the day will come around (quicker than you think) when the magic reading comes back as 0.1%. A few days later (2 for me) when the reading reaches 0.5% – home will beckon for a 'take it easy but take it' recovery period.

All the best… and please keep in touch if you are able.

Dai.

Clucky
    Participant

Thank you from both of us.:-) 🙂

Clucky
    Participant

Hi Dai, they are keeping a close eye on his fluids because of the dialysis side of things.

He says he doesn't feel too bad just yet, he's been quite sick a couple of times (they've upped the anti sickness pills)….and he has the dreaded poo's, but again not too bad just yet. Think dialysis will be interesting because he can't just run to the loo.

I'm being very careful to avoid anyone with coughs or sniffles (difficult in a hospital). I'm using the stairs, not the lifts.

Since we found out Bruce was poorly I've kept a diary of all his appointments, treatments – all sorts of stuff. With him being split between 2 departments, it's been really useful. I've had to learn to speak up – I'm usually such a mouse.

Yes, they are testing his bloods each morning, things are ok so far – the doctor isn't expecting it to kick off properly til Wednesday.

I'll keep everyone posted.

luv
    Mal & Bruce:-) 🙂
    PS Bruce is missing his guitar 🙁

Gill
    Participant

Hi I have been off line for so long I ended up with withdrawal symptoms (moan for another day).

But now I am catching up I just wanted to say the very best of luck for Bruce's SCT.

Everybody has given you great advice. The only thing I wish I had done differently was I wish I'd kept a diary when my husband (Stephen) was in for his SCT.

I always thought I would remember every minute and, for a while, I did. It soon faded when he came home.

I did write a kind of blog on the old site but despite requests the webteam seem unable or unwilling to retrieve the information on there.

Good Luck to you both Gill xx

Clucky
    Participant

Thanks from both of us.

BADGER
    Participant

Hello Mal and Bruce

Just caught up with your post I wish you all the best Bruce with the transplant you are braver than me as I had renal failure but just missed dialysis by a fraction didnt want to do even more damage to my kidneys
    I bet you miss your guitar bruce I am sure you will be up and playing again soon
    God bless Love Jo

tom
    Participant

Hi Mal and Bruce

Happy Anniversary to you both 😎 the wine will save 😀

Good luck with the treatment and its dreaded side effects:-S

Love

Tom "Onwards and Upwards" xx

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Stem cell transplant with kidney failure underway.’ is closed to new replies.