Stem Cell treatment

This topic contains 31 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  kp 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author

bernard
    Participant

Hi All

for those going through SCT sometimes it’s better not to know! I was out after 19 days which I thought was good but well done to those out earlier. Day zero is transplant day and I was told day 10 I would be unwell. Close, it was day 9 and for the next 3 days I wanted to end it all! I honestly thought was all the effort worthwhile? Then I started to recover. This all happened in Late February this year and now it seems a lifetime ago. I was told it will maximise remission and I hope that’s the case. Now I am enjoying life and apart from my monthly Zometer and quarterly blood checks, I don’t need to go to the hospital which is a god send.

One thing to consider for those that have gone through SCT is that when it’s over you feel slightly lost because you have been so focused on getting through chemo and then the SCT. don’t worry, it happens to most of us. There are some sharings on the under 50’s forum for those that are interested.

Good luck to all – life does return!

kp
    Participant

Hi All,

I was discharged on Friday (three days short of a month in hospital) because just as they were saying I could go home I got a chest infection which was treated with IV antibiotics and added a week to my stay.

It was difficult at times, particularly because I got severe mucositis despite sucking ice pops and ice lollies before, during and after the Melphalan. Apparently you need to keep your mucosa cold for at least six hours to reduce the blood flow and limit the effects of the Melphalan on the GI tract.  But I would say it is doable and the advice to get up every day, have a shower etc was good and that was what I did, even if I then went straight back to bed.

I am looking forward now to gradually regaining my strength and planning for a nice break in warmer climes after Christmas and when I will have started to have my immunisations ( I think I can start them from day 100 post transplant).

Good luck to all

Karen

Viewing 2 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Stem Cell treatment’ is closed to new replies.