Stem Cell treatment

This topic contains 31 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  kp 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author

mervyn53
    Participant

Day 4 SCT

thanks for the advice and support. Day 4 nothing much has changed. Feel very rough and weak. Slept most of the day. Still not eating. I survive on banana scandishakes provided by the hospital. My neutrophils are still 1.8 so maybe the worst is still to come.

mervyn

mervyn53
    Participant

Day 5 SCT

started the day with more energy and thought that this is getting better but by lunchtime I was back to feeling weak and rough. Tried to eat some lunch but couldn’t face it.

maybe tomorrow.

mervyn

janw
    Participant

Hi Mervyn

You sound like you are coping well with the treatment. I wouldn’t worry too much about your appetite, because eventually it will return once your body recovers. I couldn’t eat any food for ten days whilst in hospital following my SCT due to constant nausea and sickness even with three different types of anti-sickness drugs. I slept through most of my hospital stay, unable to shower or move around much. I felt OK for a few hours every afternoon, but quickly became tired for the rest of the time. You just need to listen to your body and rest/sleep when necessary. Try to keep up your fluid intake if you can. And remember, you should start to feel better quite soon.

Regards
    Jan

mervyn53
    Participant

Dear Jan

thank you for this. I am not so sure I am doing well. Did not write yesterday because I felt so terrible and had no energy. For now day 7 the stomach cramps have gone and feel better but we will see how long it lasts.

mervyn

hcp1
    Participant

Dear Mervyn

What you have taught me so far – not to have any expectations and to take each day as it comes but know that each day takes you closer to the end of your stay in hospital.

I really do hope that today proves to be an improvement on yesterday.

Helen

mervyn53
    Participant

Dear All

I am happy to report that I have been allowed out after 14 days after the SCT. Still very tired indeed.

I should report to anyone interested that I stopped writing my diary because (a) I was very tired and weak (b) I didn’t think a short daily grouse was contributing anything and (c) I stumbled upon an account that seemed to me to mirror my own experience and it was very well written.

For those interested in following what SCT does before during and after I can warmly recommend that you type into Google: My experience Undergoing Stem Cell Treatment.

It tells you most of what you want to know in a factual way by someone who’s don’t it.

bandityoga
    Participant

You did well to get out in 14 days. My husband went through his SCT in May an got out in 16 days but unfortunately got an infection the following day and ended up in hospital for 10 days. He is now doing well and FLC are now 16.

Hope you get a good remission.

Maureen

cygnet
    Participant

Glad to hear you’re home Mervyn – well done!

Thank you for sharing your experience – take it easy & take care of yourself as you build your strength back up.

Cx

hcp1
    Participant

Hi Mervyn

Good to hear that you are now back home and I hope your strength and energy return before too long. Thank you for taking the time to share your early experiences of SCT. I have read the article you recommended.

I see my consultant next Thursday. I know I have one more planned cycle of VDT to go before my SCT but I am hoping he doesn’t suggest an extra cycle as I want to be in between treatments for my daughter going off to Uni, her 21st birthday and my son starting a new school for sixth form! And a short break in Scotland if I have the energy.

best wishes to you

Helen

natdarke1
    Participant

Hi mervyn good luck with it!! My mum is due to have transplant end August and is getting cells harvested on Monday. She is a tough cookie and is doing ok with the strong chemo she has been receiving this week, managing to eat, albeit small portions!!

Hopefully it will all go well!!

Natalie

mervyn53
    Participant

Hello Natalie

I wish your mum well. SCT will not be easy for her. Please read the article I recommended. You will find it helpful.

best wishes.

Mervyn

natdarke1
    Participant

Hi Mervyn,

thanks for that. It’s a very long, hard journey to take isn’t it?! At the moment she is 6 days into having the strong chemo…. Cell harvesting is set for tomorrow. Here’s hoping that they collect enough!!! Everyone’s stories are similar but different. Mum was diagnosed with myeloma just before Christmas 2014 and up until then I had never heard of it. I discovered this web site and its been a god send. How are you doing now you have been discharged?

Natalie

kp
    Participant

Hi Mervyn, thanks for the link, I have had stem cells harvested, have a wig ready and waiting, and am waiting for a date to go in for transplant so am absorbing information from as many sources as possible. I feel anxious and apprehensive but I know I will get through it. The carrot is a deeper and longer lasting remission.

Keep well

Karen

natdarke1
    Participant

Hi Karen,

good luck with it…. I feel the same as you only still waiting for mums cells to get harvested!! It’s been a lot of back and forth this week but hopefully they will get harvested today. It’s the first hurdle we have faced but still frustrating none the less!! Then we need to wait for a date for transplant….

Natalie

annlynn
    Participant

hy karen. i had my transplant last year harvested on 31 july transplant 12 august. A hard 17 days but worth it. ive been in remmision since and like lots of us on this forum im enjoying life again and enjoying the simple pleasures life brings family. good friends nice wine. ha ha .keep strong during the process take a notebook with you and on your good days write down all the lovely things your going to do when your well
    ven the simple stuff itll get you through when your sure youl never feel yourself again .Then one morning. youll wake in hospital knowing youve turned the. corner. the. best feeling ever when they tell you your blood counts. rising good luck. will be rooting for you xx

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Stem Cell treatment’ is closed to new replies.