STRESS

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  eve 11 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

eve
    Participant

Hi Everyone
    The last 2 years have been spent as a carer,and I have amazed myself,I have done everything that has to be done on the carers front, including heavier task like pushing wheel chairs,driving miles and miles even to London.It has all been hard work,it is so nice to be leaving,some of these task behind.Plus:-( coping with everything else that life has thrown at me.

My problem is my body is now playing up:-S ,just little things,trapped nerve,frozen shoulder,not sleeping well,stomach upsets,seems to be one thing after another,friends tell me it,s stress,need a holiday syndrome.
    If I coped with the past 2 years,without my body letting me down,why is it doing it now.logically yes I can see it,s all stress related,how much stress can a body take??.Eve

DaiCro
    Participant

Hi Eve,

I suppose it is similar to any stressful job where you suppress your angst in order to carry on with the job in hand… your body couldn't afford to have these minor but painful problems before and almost the second the stress is lifted they are allowed to play havoc. Normally that occurs when you go on holiday… many women catch colds.. and the poor men man-flu.:-(

I know that for most the holidays they choose are continual, seeking the sun for a fortnight, or for those with more time, Austrlia, New Zealand, South africa etc., to visit family or just to seek the adventure.

But sometimes it might do just as good to visit Wales, the Lake District, the Cotswolds or Scotland… take a cottage for a fortnight and chill… enjoy pub lunches and light evening meals back at the cottage… drives around the landscapes which in all the places are phenomenally beautiful, either for the gentler hills and vales or for the more majestic drives around the lakes and glens. And the occasional day where you sit in the cottage with the doors and windows open (or firmly closed with a blazing log fire) and just read and doze.:-D

Good medicine all… and the less stress in organising, short haul or no haul, is better.:-)

I am sure that most of your ailments are psychosomatic… you have given so much of yourself and the related worry and stress that goes with it for a very long time… now you need to unwind… perhaps starting with a visit to a therapist for a general workout, or perhaps a acupuncturist (I have visited one, twice over 20 years and each time my problems disappeared after a couple of visits).8-)

You deserve a pamper… perhaps you could treat yourself to a day at one of these health spa's? Either way or any, I am sure that your ailments are short term and could be helped by one or more of the above.8-)

Much love,:-)

Dai.

Perkymite
    Participant

Hi Eve, I could not agree more with Dia. If you can do it take some time out for yourself where you can just "chill? or us older people would say "relax" for at least two consecutive days, seven would be better but you may not have that luxury!

Kindest regards – Vasbyte

David

eve
    Participant

Hi Dai and David
    I think I upped the stress limit with this trip to NZ,getting everything ready doing all the organisation,plus producing Christmas presents for the people we leave behind,specially the grand children.Have not seen one of my Kiwi grand children for 3 years,so this trip is a must.I also feel it has to be now rather than later,I do not want Slim to have regrets,There is a big health spar in NZ,so if I can get Slim to bare his skin and bones,we could book a weekend away there.

Before MM I found it difficult to jump off the roundabout until we gave up our business and lived in a motor home for 9 years and just travelled,it was a most relaxing life,recommend it to any one.need to get this life back on track.8-)working on 2 months cycles,6 weeks away,home blood test zometa and trials stuff see consultant then off again.If it works it will be great,we only live 20 miles from France.
    Just need a quick cure to keep me going through this week.Love Eve

ps, one time I would have gone down to the pub but cannot hack it these days,may be I, should change my drink to vodka like Tom

Helen
    Participant

Hi Eve
    I think they are all correct too, while you've concentrated all your energy on Slim, your body hasn't had a rest. Now that the constant adrenalin rushes are over, your body is trying to regroup. This holiday is what you need, go and enjoy it, I hope you have a magical time with your grandchildren. When do you go?
    Love Helen
    P.s. next year just write everyone a cheque, its less stressful, not as much fun but they'll understand that you can't do everything. 🙂

Mari
    Participant

Dear Eve,

I am with you 100% on this. I know you have had a very tough time over the last two years and I am sorry that this has taken a toll on your health. I really hope you are getting some relief now and will feel better soon.

I can only echo your experiences and I have to say I really dont know how break the cycle. I would be grateful for some advice. People say 'you must find some time for yourself' but it's well nigh impossible. I work full time, have to try and keep the house and garden on track and keep Steve going through his SCT. Eight weeks down the line he is getting much better but I know he will do too much if I don't keep a very firm hold on him.

On top of all this my dad has been getting increasingly poorly in North Wales with bowel cancer and he passed away last week. I have lost count of the number of late night or early morning emergency dashes I have done when he has fallen or been taken ill again. All these also mean time off work and then more stress there trying to catch up. Oh no this is turning into a full scale moan. Sorry

Anyway this week I have been diagnosed with a gall bladder problem, I think it will mean an operation eventually but I could do without this pain in the side just now. I am beginning to wonder what else can be thrown at us! But we are still standing and Steve is doing well.

Any suggestions on how to find that time for myself gratefully received.

Hope you feel better,

Love Marixx

eve
    Participant

Hi Helen
    I have seen this coming and should know better,the only way I can explain it,is every part of my body has for gotten how to relax.Any way a few more days tying loose ends up.We fly next Sunday evening,Slim as usual is taking it in his stride,
    In past years when travelling in the Motor Home,all christmas shopping was done in the summer months when we came home,sound daft but took the pressure off,have always been away,so a christmas gift has been a must,although by the time we got back,there was no signs of the gift,lol specially when I bought the toy dogs that demand attention,one of my daughters,has never quiet forgiven me,even Nana,s have there pay back time lol.

Mint chop the Lamb has been slaughted,ready for the Barbie,the kiwi kids have been getting lessons from there dad about the dreaded mother in law,who is a witch and is flying in on her broomstick,the kids keep telling him kiss kiss nana is going to sought him out,and grand dad has to bring them some treasure.
    I will send a post card from the land of the long white cloud.Love Eve

eve
    Participant

Hi Mari

I thought I had problems,by gum,you beat mine,one of my mantra,s is there is always some one worst off than you, I am feel better already(joke);-)

We know the body copes with what ever it has too,it,s when every thing has passed,Myeloma has been put in its box,I have put a padlock on the box and thrown away the key.another learning curve.getting morbid myself now,should be cheering you up.
    I am sorry about you Dad,but do not go battering yourself up,I have my guilt over Matty,you just cannot split yourself up,you do the best you can.

I could tell you the same you have to look after yourself,but it is easier said than done. I am at the stage,were going out to lunch,is not curing it.
    I do not know if you drink Marie,but I would stop,many years ago,I ended up with gall Bladder problems,even though I had an operation,did not take away the pain in my right side,to this day still think it was a combination of stress,plus trying to relax having a drink.Even if they have found a stone does not mean that is causing the pain.

As you are a teacher,half term coming up??Mad rush at christmas then a break!!!if you stay at home you will find things to do,so not a break.!!!
    Love Eve

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘STRESS’ is closed to new replies.