Swollen ankles, feet etc

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  valgrebezs 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

valgrebezs
    Participant

Hi from Val. My husband is halfway through Chemo and has had 5 sessions of Radiotherapy. Diagnosed in Oct 2014. He has really swollen ankles, feet and lower legs and worst of all his stomach is very swollen and he has never had ‘a beer belly’ before. he is to have another scan on 24 Jan. Anyone heard of this? Could it may be the steroids? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

finn
    Participant

Hi Val

I had swollen ankles too when on Dex, it causes water retention in the body so everything swells up. I returned to my normal shape when I finished treatment with steroids. Best

valgrebezs
    Participant

Thank you Finn. xx

davidainsdale
    Participant

Hi Val

This is my first post on the Discussion Forum since my diagnosis of Myeloma in March 2013.

I was pretty much wheelchair-bound and immobile for much of 2013 due to a cytoplasma in the T7/T8 spinal vertebra. Like your husband, I had radiotheraphy (at Clatterbridge) which helped reduced the pain and then on to CTD. As you may know there are various treatment plans for CTD, I was on the most aggresive which meant taking 20 dexi tablets on Days 1-4 and Days 12-15 along with a host of other medication.

Lots of side effects including swollen feet, ankles, face and abdomen. This did eventually disappear but in my case it was over 12 months, exercise eg walking seemed to help. The other main side effect was muscle weakness and by the end of Cycle 6 I was pretty worn out. That all said, my pp level came down from a starting level of 54 to about 2.8. I had a Stem Cell Transplant 11 months ago and am in remission.

During the course of all this I lost about 4 inches in height and put the beer belly down to the fact that my insides have been squashed. Am now able to walk a couple of miles and do most jobs around the house with common sense not to do to much. I am very grateful for the treatment and improved quality of life.

Hope this helps.

David

valgrebezs
    Participant

Hello David and Thank You for your message. Peter has been admitted to hospital as he has pneumonia. not too bad but still, he’s stuck in there. he seems a,little hunched and now doesn’t seem so tall.
    Good luck for everything, what a lousy illness this is. Val. London

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Swollen ankles, feet etc’ is closed to new replies.