Swollen Legs on CDT is this normal?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  brocho 13 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

clarabell
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if its a common side effect on CDT to have swollen lower legs?

My Dad is on week 2 of CDT and today you can't even see his ankle bones, he has a slight rash on his face too.

Of course he has only told us about his swollen legs at this time of night when we can't call the nurse to ask if its normal.

Any info appriciated,

Clara xxx

brocho
    Participant

Hi Clara it sounds like fluid retention which is fairly common with a steroid mix.I have had it quite a lot , you need to get a prescription for diuretics tomorrow and get your dad to elevate his ankles and drink plenty .It does go down fairly quickly , not sure about the rash best check it out tomorrowIf the rash gets worse have you got the ward number , they should be able to help Hope he is okay love Bridget x

clarabell
    Participant

Thanks Bridget,

Thats given me some peace of mind, I'll give the nurse a call tomorrow,

Cheers clara xxxx

Min
    Participant

I agree with Bridget,wholeheartedly in the meanwhile the most natural form of diuretics is fruit of the variety that includes oranges and lemons plus grapefruit.
    I used to buy dandelion tea bag too as they are a natural diuretic too. The kidneys filtration system is blocked up, causing the filters to stop working at full tilt. drinking copious quantities of water/fluid helps to unblock those filters and get them back to working as they used to before being blocked.
    Meanwhile elevate the legs on a stool or chair and put a pillow under the mattress, It helps it to look less alarming and prevents the skin becoming uncomfortably tight due to the swelling. Use a lot of cream to help the tightness of the skin. any cream will do as long as its moisturising.
    Mn

BADGER
    Participant

Hello Clara

When I was on CDT my ankles were swollen a lot of the time I could not take diuretics due to kidney damage I had to drink upto 3ltr a day which didnt help he should have a word with the doc or nurse I am sure they will give him somethin as for the rash I found that it was the antibiotic I was given (CIPROFLOXIN) that caused it is he taking anything like that

Best wishes to Your Dad

Love Jo x

clarabell
    Participant

Thanks everyone, Dad has the hospital tomorrow they are going to give him some diuretics which should help, he has been putting cream on which has helped, thank you min! He's really struggling with the anti blood clot injection he has to take everyday, its very painful and he has a good pain threshold so its bothering him. Hopefully they can help with that tomorrow too.

Love n best wishes to all Clara xxx

brocho
    Participant

Hi Clara I have those injections too and the best advice I was given is not to rub it and it definitely hurts much less love Bridget x

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Swollen Legs on CDT is this normal?’ is closed to new replies.