Swollen right Leg

This topic contains 14 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  AV8R 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Perkymite
    Participant

I have suddenly developed a swollen right calf muscle. It extends down to the ankle but stops just above the ankle joint. It can be painful to walk on. Consultant I saw on Friday siad he di not think it was anything to do with Myeloma, not very convincing though. I am going to drop in and see my Doctor next week.

Anybody got any experience of this sort of thing.

Kindest regards – vasbyte

David

annd
    Participant

Hi David

When I was on my CTD treatment I noticed a sudden swollen calf muscle. I had a hospital appt the next day and was sent for a scan. This showed a lower leg deep vein thrombosis which was treated with Warfarin for 6 months.
    Obviously yours may be a different problem and I hope you can get a definite explanation soon.

Best wished Ann

ali49
    Participant

Hi David
    did your consultant consider and rule out a DVT (thrombosis)? If not and it’s still swollen and tender I would get a medical opinion promptly as they can be nasty and like Ann said easily dealt with.

Kind regards
    Alison

BADGER
    Participant

Hi David
    hope you are well not been able to get on this forum for weeks since they changed the system
    sorry not answered your posts before now I would get your leg checked for DVT it sounds like similier
    symptons to some one in my clinic they had DVT
    Best wishes JO

Perkymite
    Participant

Hy guys and gals, or are we all now just guys?

Had an exciting weekend spending many hours waiting in my local hospital. I have a DVT just above the right knee and am now on Clexane injections, indefinitely I am told by the Pharmacist ! They are now consulting the Hematology dept to find out if will affect my treatment with Revlimide. Anybody got any current experience of this?

kindest Regards – vasbyte
    David

Vicki
    Participant

Firstly David not impressed with the first diagnosis of ‘nothing to worry about!’ Glad you sought a second opinion! When Colin was on revlimid he had to do an injection every day to keep the flow of blood going. I think revlimid side effect is blood clots. He was just lucky that time he was on it 🙂

Hope things are going better for you now

Vicki and Colin x

Helen
    Participant

Dear David
    I do hope you are going to point this out to the consultant you saw? I was on aspirin all the time I was on Revlimid with the injections when in hospital or flying long haul as DVT is A KNOWN complication of Revlimid. I hope it settles down and is trouble free soon. But you will need the injections all the time as you are high risk for DVT now.
    Love Helen

eve
    Participant

Hi David

Revilimid is known to cause DVT ,it will be your consultants approach to it,if you stay on it or not.When Slim was on the Revilimid he was on a preventive does of Claxane 40m but this still did not prevent an artery blockage from hip to knee although he had low platelets?????,

There is a tablet called RIVAROXABAN that does the same job of thinning the blood,must be taken 1 every 24 hours,saves all those injections.

You do not say what your blood platelets are,because all bloods diminish on Revilimid ,but do not be fooled in to thinking,you cannot get a blockage in Vein or Artery.look out for those symptoms I sent you in the private mail. Eve

BADGER
    Participant

Hello David
    glad you have got it sorted it just shows you have to be persistant as for you guys it send me mad I often tell especially youngsters excuse me we are not guys my rant for the day
    Regards Jo

Perkymite
    Participant

Hi Eve, never had a private email I will open it when the wife is not about :-)). Actually my Doc mentioned RIVAROXABAN and he wrote to my Consultant about it.

Mistakes are to test the edit system – Which Worked – YIPEEE

kindest regards – vasbyte

David

• This reply was modified 10 years, 2 months ago by  Perkymite.

bandityoga
    Participant

Hi David

Glad you got it sorted out. Myeloma site is great for information.

Hope you will be well for your break away.

Maureen

Dizzyliz
    Participant

Hello David,

Glad you got the right diagnosis in the end, these DVTs are a side effect of revlimid and kev as always taken aspirin from day one, he did have a scare when he had one of his chest infections, the dr said they can cause small ones to collect in the lower lung, but sometimes people cannot tolerate aspirin, I suppose it would be better if you could get off the injections and onto tablet, so here’s hoping your soon feeling a lot better!
    Keep well.

Love liz & kev xx

Perkymite
    Participant

I am still struggling to find out how this forum actually works? I am replying to a post that I received but I cannot find it on the postings!

Anyway, Hi Carol, thanks for your post. I have been on this forum since Jul 2009 and you are the first Taunton person I have run into, I go to Musgrove. Yes, I was given advice to watch out for DVTs and I did take 75mg aspirin a day. That has stopped now that I am on Clexane injections in the Tum. I see the consultants once a month and I get signed off for another dose of 20 mg of Dex plus the 21 days of Revlimide. I normally have the Drip fed Bis-phosphate (cannot remember name at moment). However, I might have to have an extraction so they took me off that in Jan and -IF NECESSARY – the extraction will take place in March. However I now have the complication of Clexane to think about now!

Nice to meet you.

Kindest regards – Vasbyte

David

Bad grammar and spelling mistakes are copy write to Perkymite and any infringement will be severely dealt with!!!

• This reply was modified 10 years, 2 months ago by  Perkymite.

andyg
    Participant

Hi David.
    Glad they’re on top of your DVT at last. As been pointed out its a well known side effect of Revlimid and all the Thalidomide based drugs. I’ve been on anti coagulants since diagnosis. Must of injected myself over 700 times. I’m now on Rivaroxaban so at least I’m not stabbing myself any more.

Every day is a gift.
    Made more pleasant not having to inject one self

Andy

AV8R
    Participant

Hi David

Firstly excellent news on your other post – keep well.

I’m surprised about your DVT. Revlimid is known to carry a risk of thrombosis and so aspirin or Clexane is commonly prescribed. I’ve been on Revlimid both during initial treatment and now on maintenance and, since I have a “sensitive” stomach, I opted for Clexane. I was originally on 40mg but now 20mg (both values corrected 3/2/14) and expect to continue whilst on Revlimid.

Best wishes

Stephen

• This reply was modified 10 years, 2 months ago by  AV8R.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Swollen right Leg’ is closed to new replies.