Taste buds

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Helen 11 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

JustCathy
    Participant

Hi everyone,

Have not been on for a while it has been a tough journey for Ivan he was 8 weeks in hospital after his SCT and his kidneys have not recovered, he has dialysis very mon wed and fri means he leaves home at 6:45am and returns at about 1:30pm. It's been really tough for him the doctor said there are about 10 things that can go wrong in a SCT and he had a least 3 of them temperatures infections and kidney failure. Anyhow he's home now and the road to recovery seems very long I have had to go back to work and its very tough for all the family plenty of help from them though.
    The worst thing is his taste buds he has lost 3 stone and he is having a terrible time coping with food, I can get him to eat home made soups which I make but all sweet things make him sick His taste buds seem to have been destroyed, will it get better he is home now two weeks and he is still being sick even with the tablets any advice is well accepted.

Cathy

Elizellen
    Participant

I am glad you finally have Ivan home, even if he does have frequent hospital trips for those necessary dialysis sessions, Cathy!

My taste buds took (I think) about a month before getting anything like back to normal, so hopfully it won't bee too long for Ivan's to recover and help him gain his appetite.

Maybe try to feed him up on savoury foods (will he eat curries?) and not worry about sweet ones for the moment. Losing one's sweet tooth could be seen as a blessing really, as those kind of foods are often not the most nutritious ones for any of us! 😉

As he will eat your home made soups maybe you can add some unflavoured/unsweetened protein powder to them, to help boost the nutrition for him?

Wishing him a speedy return to tasting!

Eliz
    XX
    X
    XX
    X

eve
    Participant

Hi Cathy

Nice to hear from you,Ivan has had a rough time of it so it might take a bit longer than most to make a recovery,Slim is 5 months past SCT and is only just starting to gain weight,and still is occasionally sick.

What sickness tablets is he on??? Slim had a few different ones,its hard to eat when ever thing taste awful,if you cannot get supplements down him,make sure he drinks a lot,milk helped Slim.Even now he drinks a couple of litres a day.
    it must be hard with having to go back to work,I use to cook food,then he could not eat it,Slim did not touch meat for a long time,I would carry on with what you are doing give him things he can eat,try not to worry about the weight loss,you will find the hospital unconcerned,they know it will take time,just try to maintain the weight he has.Slim went to 61k,he is now 65,after 5 months.
    You have the added worry of Dialysis, so fluid in take must be a worry.
    I hope you make full use of people around you,because you will have to nag Ivan just to make sure he drinks,you could get the district nurse in she will help with supplements and any equipment you need.Eve

Helen
    Participant

Hi Cathy
    Good that he is home. It is 14 months since my SCT and my taste buds have not recovered yet. I suspect they have gone for good.
    Love Helen

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Taste buds’ is closed to new replies.