Teeth and the Dentist

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  andyg 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Perkymite
    Participant

I started a new topic I thought people might have more to say on this biting subject LOL

Hi Dusk, I go to see the hospital Dentist on Wednesday the 4th June. I was recommended to go by my Dentist after a long hassle. I have been off Bishosphonates since January in preparation for an extraction, You need 3 months clear before and after I am told but because of the hassle with my Dentist it ended up 6 months before. I will report back after the 4th.

Andy – Sorry to hear about your Jaw. I note it did not stop you flying to Greece. We have hit Greece on the head I am afraid. The urge to sit in the sun has gone and I would rather spend the money going to more places in the good old British Isle. he he

Kindest Regards – Vasbyte

andyg
    Participant

Hi David
    I’m planning on keeping on flying to Greece as long as I can David. I thought the latest trip there might of been the last after the bad start to the year I had but I’m feeling ok again now and we’ve already booked for our September trip. Steph has cut her hours to a 4 day week so we may get a few more trips away in the British Isles too.
    Octobers visit to the lakes is booked in too as is the Nottingham beer festival trip – also in October.
    Hope your trip to the dentist goes/went smoothly and you can smile with confidence lol

Every day is a gift
    Andy

Perkymite
    Participant

Hi Andy, Well it all got delayed yet again. My fault this time. My visit went well on the 4th but I am deaf in the right ear and when booking the appointment with the Nurse I miss heard what she said. I did not want an appointment on or before the 21 June. My son was getting married that day. I misheard her answer and discovered, when the letter came through, I had agreed to the 16th Jun just five days before the wedding!! I had to go to the back of the queue and the extraction date is now the 27th July. Luckily my teeth do not hurt at the moment.

However, I have had problems with my Prostate Cancer -Water Retention – and I have got to go into hospital some time in July for that so I might not make the 27th either. I nearly did not make the Wedding but the hospital pulled out all of the stops to get me sorted out on Friday so that I could travel.

We are hoping to visit Snowdonia and Scotland in August but at this rate I may well be in the Dentist’s chair LOL

Kindest Regards – Vasbyte

David

andyg
    Participant

Hi David.
    It does bu**er about with your plans having to fit in hospital appointments around life. My memory ain’t what it was and I have to rely on Steph to keep everything flowing as smooth as possible.
    Sorry to hear you prostate cancer is causing you problems.
    Are you sure you just don’t have an aversion to dentists and your doing anything to keep putting it off?
    Your son got married on my birthday. Another number ticked off now the tricky journey to the next one. I hope you had a great day and everything was top notch. We went out for a meal with family and friends and had a good laugh and a lovely meal.
    We keep talking about visiting Scotland for a holiday but whilst I can still fly it’s been put on hold. May need a passport when we get there lol.
    Hope the tooth doesn’t play up before it’s extracted.

Every day is a gift

Andy

Vicki
    Participant

Hi David

Sorry to hear things were a bit rocky with the prostate, but glad to hear they’ve got it controlled….hope the hospital visit for the water will sort itself out. You and Andy seem to be enjoying yourselves….we must take a leaf out of your books!

Vick and Colin x

Perkymite
    Participant

Yes my prostate is giving me big problems at the moment. I am having to wear a catheter at present which whilst not pleasant at least means I can now get 8 hours sleep with no pain, something I have not done for about 4 months. Oncology appointment on the 7th to sort out the long term position. All sorts of horrible, they sound that whey to me LOL, options to be put to me then.

Mo and I determine that we ware going to go somewhere; we start the planning process and just do it, making sure we are clear of any appointments etc. etc.. .

Go for it – kindest regards – vasbyte

David

andyg
    Participant

Hi David.
    Hope your visit re prostate goes ok.
    I’ve had a catheter in for at least 2.5 years now guess I’m used to it now! Though it can be a nuisance at times especially in a pub!
    My appointments seem to be piling up and they’re spread over the next 5 months though none clash with anything planned as yet. My main worry is my back review in November I may have to go under the knife again after that one though hopefully it’ll fall between holiday seasons.

Every day is a gift.

Andy

Perkymite
    Participant

Hi Andy, I was shocked when you revealed that you had a Catheter in 2.5 years. I just struggle to put what you actively do with the problems you have!! Big big WOW buddy.

I have had it since 21st June now and I have a trial removal on Monday 7th July. I have really struggled to find a comfortable way of wearing it, I tend to get sore, tried Germoline and Vaseline . At the moment I am trying no underpants, no thigh strap and just wearing tracksuit bottoms.

Although it seems an alien thing to me I have for the first time slept all night – 8 hours sleep – with NO pain. It is heaven.

I also have an Urology appointment on Monday and that should give me some idea of where I am going with my Prostate. I was told when they put it in that I probably would not need a permanent Catheter at this stage and they might bore my Prostate out (like coring an apple the nurse said!)

However, I am now being investigated for Skin cancer. They are going to cut a lump out on of me on the 22 July, with two teeth to be extracted on the 27th July will there be anything left of me I wounder LOL.

Kindest regards – vasbyte

David

andyg
    Participant

Hi David.
    You do seem to be giving the medics a run for their money. Boring out your prostate doesn’t sound like fun! and now a lump of flesh to be removed as well! Makes having you two teeth extracted sound like a walk in the park.
    You’ll be glad when July is over.
    I get to see my consultant at the end of the month I wonder what she’s got in store for me?
    Good luck with everything David hope you can pee freely soon 😉

Every day is a gift

Andy

highasakite
    Participant

I have had six Zometa infusions and just about to have a SCT . I was originally told by my local hospital  I had to be off  Zometa for three months before I had a tooth extraction. I am now under UCHL for the SCT I told them about my split tooth and have just had it extracted by them. that was about 3 weeks after my last infusion. The tooth came out two weeks ago with no problems and I have had no problems since. so I think it depends who you ask.

Andy

andyg
    Participant

Hi Andy

The general rule is to stop Zometa 3 months before any dental extractions due to the risk of osteonacrosis of the jaw. Exposed bone is the problem as it dies. I’ve not heard of anyone having a tooth extracted so soon after a Zometa infusion but there is exceptions to every rule. I do know you need a dental exam before SCT so I’m guessing the need for the SCT is greater than the risk of osteonacrosis of the jaw. I’ve managed to get it without any dental work done.

Every day is a gift

Andy

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Teeth and the Dentist’ is closed to new replies.