Tips while in hospital having SCT

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  rebeccaR 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

graemeandrewartha
    Participant

Good day to All.

After 5 cycles I am , at 67, about to start my SCT treatment. Tomorrow I have my “long line” inserted, then later on 6th October I am having the harvesting carried out. This is all occurring at the Southampton General Hospital.

Can anyone give me some tips from now and when going into isolation. I have tried finding any info on this site but at moment cannot find anything.

Anything will be of interest from the up side, down side and how to get through the weeks. Anyone who has been there will understand what I am looking for as I am sure they were either geared up prior or wish that they had more information.

With many thanks

Graeme

rebeccaR
    Participant

Hi Graeme, sorry no-ones replied as yet I guess its because this topic comes up a lot – I had mine last Xmas in Leeds and there was a thread under Buddies wanted where a few posted there experiences but I have just searched for it to check its there and nothing came up? am sure if you search under SCT you will get different views. I tried to read up on everything and prepare but to be honest no 2 peoples are the same although I think what is common to all is the nausea and S&D. Everyone will say suck ice when you get the high dose for 20 mins etc to protect your mouth but they’d run out of ice when I had it – and I never had any problems with my mouth? The room was absolutely freezing (bearing in mind you are severely run down) which they said was because it sucked out all the germs etc – so a fleecy throw was needed and warmer clothes. I felt too rubbish to watch tv, too rubbish to read books, but I did enjoy CD talking books to listen to whilst I wallowed. Nausea for me was a huge problem but don’t think there are any tips for that. They say the average person is in 18 days so I had a count down calendar and felt great every night I crossed off another day as its important to remember whilst it is horrible it is not for ever so, no matter how I felt, crossing off another day was a huge psychological lift. People said eating can be a problem so I took in little pots of custard, jelly, rice puds but never used them – but I had no mouth/throat problems they might have been handy if I had difficulty swallowing. Until the HDT takes effect you will feel absolutely fine it’s only when it starts working that you go in a decline I think about day 3+- this surprised me I expected to feel awful as soon as I had it. They say walk around as much as you are able and try to be active – it helps with lungs and recovery but every time I moved I felt so nauseous that I just laid in bed the whole time and was only on my feet to go to the bathroom – others tho have used exercise bikes in there and am sure this would help recovery – again it is all so individual. I often didn’t like to talk on the phone and act all jolly so I used to keep in touch with people via text I know a lot have found skyping their family very good/ a boost and this may reduce visits if you don’t feel up to it. Through out you are very closely monitored and once you hit rock bottom and neutroprenic you may be given bags of potassium, platelets etc dependant. This is when you worry about a raised temperature and infections but they are quickly on top of it/ever vigilant. Think about day 10 you start feeling a bit better every day, stronger and you know you’ve turned the corner. Sorry this sounds like a ramble just typing as I think back (not something I like to dwell on even now) As with everything in myelomaland you may sail through it or you may have a rough time no-one really knows the extent of each symptom for each individual. I thought I would sail through it but mentally, the constant nausea, wore me down. I always liken SCT to childbirth – it’s hard at the time but once done it’s soon forgotten. SCT was certainly not the horror story I thought it would be but it was unpleasant to say the least but as everyone says it is totally “doable”. Before SCt you will be harvested this is the easiest thing a few jabs to get the old stem cells boosted – this may give you pulsating pain throughout your body (too many crammed in the old bones) but paracetomol does alleviate it. Harvesting is quite interesting and pain free – your blood comes out goes into a machine to extract the blighters and then it goes back in to your body. I had a femoral line in for harvesting but a lot seem to have a line in both arms. I liked harvesting it gave me a huge psychological boost as it was easy and you are one step closer. Back to SCT – unless you are carrying excess timber that you don’t mind losing I’d enjoy pigging out for a while as most people lose weight – again some more than others but I think 10lb + would be an average? It’s along time in hospital but most of the time you may not feel like doing much – some take in box sets, books, laptop. Think I may have liked to do a jigsaw might have been therapeutic and not very taxing. Hope you get some more responses, it is difficult as everyone seems to have a slightly different story other than the nausea and S&D and to some its debilitating and to others a mere hiccup. I would just say brace yourself, expect the worst and anything better is a bonus. Soon you’ll be on the other side of it and that’s a very nice feeling. Good luck

Rebecca
    PS Would I do it again – yes without a second thought!

graemeandrewartha
    Participant

Hi Rebecca. Many thanks for your lovely reply it was appreciated and I will even print it off to take with me. It is a daunting experience even with the information and backup that I have. At moment I have a small list to take including eye shades and ear plugs. Your suggestions will be in there. Phone, laptop with movie’s standard now I imagine.  Love jelly etc so also on list.

I tried searching for previous experiences but didn’t find anything hence my topic. Only thing with computers,  put the wrong thing in and you get the “computer says no” so I will try again.

Many thanks

Graeme

rebeccaR
    Participant

Hi, SCt is very daunting and it has been described as major heart surgery on the blood but I have heard some who were on CDT say that was worse. I only had velcade/dex which I think is quite kind – or was to me. I wouldn’t worry too much about getting to sleep you’ll find sleeping quite easy. Forgot to mentions as the rooms were so cold (but germ free) you could take in a heater if you had a receipt and could prove it was brand new. Mouthwash – you will be given mouthwash to use to try and prevent mucutosis (or something) basically its a really horrible thick white coating on your tongue/mouth – think everyone gets this to varying degrees and when it starts they give you some medication to rub on. Everyone, on here, says to use the mouthwash as tho it’s going out of fashion – every opportunity ie. every time you’re up and in the bathroom. Mouth care is very important so every time you eat clean teeth and mouth wash and top this up when you’re able – they recommend taking in a soft baby toothbrush so you don’t make your teeth bleed as you will have a very low platelet count. If I think of anything else will post – it all seems so long ago now. The main thing is to remember it’s a bit like a short prison stay you know you have to endure it for say 18 days so no matter how bad your day is at the end of the day you are one day closer to home – try not to look ahead but just take it a day at a time. It does actually feel like prison when you’re in isolation with the same old 4 walls but you do have the luxury of a small fridge and a kettle! If you go on the US myeloma beacon site there are people reporting on their SCT journey in “column” form – or they may have completed – haven’t looked on the site for a while but it will be there somewhere.
    Rebecca

caroled
    Participant

Hello Graeme – cannot really add much to the advice already given. Have you got a copy of Myeloma UKs book “The Small Things That Make A Difference”? It is a collection of snippets from the “front line” and there are quite a number of them relating to SCT. My husband had his first SCt 4+ years ago and is now being lined up for his 2nd one. Every day he made the effort to dress in his own clothes, rather than a hospital gown – made him feel less of a patient. I would certainly recommend taking in some very soft toilet paper! Regarding the sucking ice before and during the chemo, he took in ice lollies so that there was no danger of ice being unavailable. He also had a digital photo frame of “feel good” photos of holidays, the garden, etc but they have probably been replaced now with some other technological device. Can’t really add anything else, but wish you all the best. Regards Carole

stanley-1960
    Participant

Hi Graeme,

Sorry not to reply to your post not been on for a while. I have just completed SCT. I was in for 18days home for three and then back in for three days with a simple rhino infection. The most important thing for me was free internet to access television via ipad. As Rebecca has said oral hygiene with the support of the mouthwash is important. For me the sickness and constant nausea was extremely difficult. I had a permanent driver delivering anti sickness plus oral tablets in various combinations which improved the situation slightly. The diarrhoea was manageable up to a point. Then after several mishaps in a short period of time where there was no sensation of the impending movement i relented to the nappies provided( a definite low point).For me the long periods of boredom were not a problem as i felt ill and tired throughout the period. My wife brought some nice chocolate and other nice snacks which were virtually untouched throughout. Be prepared for constant observations(every 4 hours) and bloods via your line. Also when i was at my worst constant drips (saline,heartmans and anti biotics). I was given magnesium several bags of platlets and bloods to aid recovery once i flatlined (neutrofils zero). Not being able to leave the room does give the stay a feeling of cell block H and the temperature in my room was based on the air flow which was directed to flow out of the room via the door(pressurised). So yes a little cold at time. I have stated in my posts CTD was easy for me ( 4 courses) but this was a different proposition. But we are all different and this experience was just mine. The worst part of the whole process was line in( bard line right side of chest) and the most pleasant experience was the harvest of stem cells( a walk in the park). The very best for your SCT.

Stanley

graemeandrewartha
    Participant

Hi to all and many thanks for all your helpful replies I have printed off and highlighted the relevant points you have all indicated.

I wondered why a fella I saw (obviously being taken to a ward) had a bag of toilet paper!!!!! now answered.

Regards to you all.

Graeme

rebeccaR
    Participant

Hi Graeme, hope your harvesting went ahead ok and you got what you needed.

Rebecca

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Tips while in hospital having SCT’ is closed to new replies.