Travel after transplant

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  dwthancock 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

dwthancock
    Participant

Hi all

I’m interested to hear some experiences with travel following the stem cell transplant.

I’m 40 years old, diagnosed with multiple myeloma in Aug 23 and due to have my stem cell transplant in May 24. I live in London but am from Northern Ireland. Is it realistic that I would be able to fly to Northern Ireland for a holiday in July/Aug following the transplant?

Appreciate that foreign travel is generally not advised for 6 months at least but this is a short trip to another part of the UK although will involve taking a flight.

Any insights gratefully appreciated

Thanks

Darren

gcoulter
    Participant

Hi Darren

It’s Graham here from Norn Iron. You’ve certainly got youth on your side which will help your recovery. My wife was 50 when she had hers in Sept 2016, in December she felt well enough to attend a wedding and a month later we flew to Tenerife.

Everyone recovers differently but 100 days is often quoted as being the time to allow your immune system to build up again.
    In relation to flying “home” it wasn’t necessarily the flight we were concerned about, but the airports themselves, security queues, boarding, using the loos etc. When we flew we would have used fast track security, dropped off our bags so we didn’t need locker space and enabled us to board last on the plane.
    So I would say August is more realistic but it really does vary from person to person.
    Good luck with everything.

Graham

dwthancock
    Participant

Bout ye Graham! Thanks very much. Here’s hoping I can get back for some Harp and Tayto

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.