Work

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  sessakelly 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

EJBones
    Participant

Hello,

I have previously posted on here asking people about their employment and rights. I am 31 and I am due to have a ‘mini-allo’ in a month. When I relapsed last summer, my work would not allow me to do any work, despite offering to continue to do work (reduced hours on Work Life Balance, I am a civil servant), and said I had to wait for the OHA report. The report was completed in March this year, despite starting in the October. The report said that although I was not well enough to work now, they recommended I remain on the books as it were, as there was every hope I would be able to return to work next year. My work overly encouraged me to take medical retirement, but I did not want it at 31 (I was 30 at the time) nor did I qualify at the OHA stage. They seem to have been intent on dismissing me for medical inefficiency from the start of my relapse.

I just wondered if anybody has any advice or experienced something similar, as I try to make a case to remain in their employ. The way I see it, a healthy woman could have easily had the same amount of time off as me and required WLB concessions due to pregnancy, but the protection under the law is quite different. I would like to add, in case you have misread it, I fully support maternity rights, I was just making a comparison as to what I think would be fair for me.

Thanks for reading this.

davidainsdale
    Participant

Hello Emma
    It is difficult enough having to deal with myeloma without having to worry about work as well. My experience ( again from a civil service background and as both a manager and employee) has been quite different.Part time working, working from home, flexible hours – nothing has been too much trouble for my employer who has been extremely supportive throughout. Employers need to be flexible when dealing with cases of ill health to distinguish between the genuine and those who play the system. I would suggest that you contact someone senior in HR ( SCS or one grade lower) to explain your situation and discuss your options.This may avoid dealing with rule book based middle managers. They will know what can be done within the system, eg career break, job share etc. It sounds as though the OHA report supports your case. If your are a member of a trade union they can also provide lots of advice and a local rep can attend meetings with you. It may be obvious but it is always a good idea to a record of meetings, emails, discussions and calls in case you need them in the future. Managers have alot of discretion, it is up to them how they choose to exercise it. If you are off work, it also helps to keep in touch with your line manager every few weeks, but they should be doing this anyway.

Hope this helps.

David

Good luck with the treatment.

David

cygnet
    Participant

Hi

As David said you have enough to deal with so I am very sorry to hear about your work-related stress.

I would strongly recommend you take this up with your trade union – I have  some union experience &  management experience & this does not sound right at all to me. Alternatively you could speak to someone like the CAB or, many employment solicitors will offer a free consultation. You may  also want to consider talking to your gp so the stress this is causing  you is officially recorded. Document everything to create paper trail – even an e-mail record will do.

Good luck & look after yourself

C x

Carolsymons
    Participant

I was employed at a school and was able to transition back to work both after initial treatment and after SCT. I worked 1 hour a day for a week, 2 hours daily next week etc etc., transitioning to full time in 6 weeks. I just met with the Head and she agreed this plan which was backed up by a doctor’s certificate. Surely it is disability discrimination if they force you out of your job?

Carol

sessakelly
    Participant

Hi Emma,
    Sorry to hear your story. Unfortunately I have some experience of less than sympathetic employers. I was diagnosed in September 2012. Usual CDT before stem cell transplant the following April. Made redundant on my return to work in June having worked from hospital during the STC and having taken no time off during the initial treatment phase. I worked for a private sector shop fitting company, Morris and Spottiswood. I took legal advice but essentially the employer can carefully phrase their wording of any redundancy and are effectively unchallengeable. I was 46 at the time. At least I got some quality time with my daughter who was born 7 days after my diagnosis. I fear that, unless you have a caring employer, it will be a hard battle to change their position.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Work’ is closed to new replies.