Zometa

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  lilib 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

lilib
    Participant

My husband is due to have a first infusion of Zometa this afternoon, at the same time as his Velcade jab. Has anyone else started this treatment? (We’re only in the second cycle of medication). What should we expect? Will he feel wobbly afterwards? (I will be driving.)

robert0439
    Participant

Hi,
    I had a total of 23 infusions and missed the final infusion due to Covid. I had no real issues at all except on some occasions, I had a slight headache and felt tired. Nothing as far as I am concerned for your husband to be worried about. Wish him good look from me.

Regards,
    Robert

lilib
    Participant

Husband says thank you, Robert! Feels that I am worrying more than he is. I like to be prepared for any possible nasty surprises. Believe me, there have been a few.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by  lilib.

rosary
    Participant

I had some side effects from Zometa , I think commonly know as Zometa chills

I was given tie bits of advice to mitigate, drink lots of water during the infusion and ask if the infusion can be given over 30mins rather than 15 – I found both reduced the chills that come on approx 36 hours after treatment.

rosary
    Participant

I had some side effects from Zometa , I think commonly know as Zometa chills

I was given tie bits of advice to mitigate, drink lots of water during the infusion and ask if the infusion can be given over 30mins rather than 15 – I found both reduced the chills that come on approx 36 hours after treatment.

lilib
    Participant

Thank you, Rosary. I don’t think he had any say in the timing of the infusion this time, but he’ll certainly try to keep the fluids up. He has also been given more tablets to take (!) This time it’s Vit D, which I suppose is sensible as he is not getting out into sunlight much, as he was told not to.

mulberry
    Participant

Lilib I hope that your husband had little or no negative reaction to Zometa. The immediate effect of zometa is yet another curious myeloma phenomenon (there are plenty) where one typical myeloma patient experiences no side effects whereas another typical myeloma patient feels quite poorly afterwards. The zometa infusions usually go on monthly for 2 years. I agree with Rosary’s advice.

lilib
    Participant

Thanks, Mulberry. I have waited a week to see if anything bad happened, but I am pleased to say that my husband has not reported any side effects from the Zometa. In fact, today, for the first time in nearly 4 months, he has driven the car – and went for a short walk afterwards. This is almost worth a celebration to me!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.