Zometa

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  alpenator 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

TinaP
    Participant

My dentist thought I was growing a wisdom tooth, at 64 I laughed and said that's a bit late.
    He took an xray as he wasn't sure what it was.

He looked at it and said its not a tooth, looks like exposed bone! He gave me the xray plate to take and show my haematology consultant on Tueday.

I then Googled side effects of Zometa – a bone protector. I have been having infusions of this drug for 18months. And one of the rarer side effects is exposed jawbone.

I'll let you know the outcome after I have seen my consultants.

I wondered if anyone else on Zometa had had anything similar.

Thanks

Tina x

tom
    Participant

Hi Tina

Well I had Zometa and thankfully had no probs, but am sure you know it's known to give Zometa users extra jaw bones, am sure some one on here had a problem but just can't recall who it was/is.

Good luck with it Tina

Love Tom onwards and upwards xx

buddy
    Participant

Hi Tina.

I have been have infusions of Zometa for about two and a half years. I have been told to keep a close watch on my teeth as apparently it can make the bone continue to grow. I have also been told to be careful of any disturbance of bones in the mouth and jaw. I have had some teeth out without incident. Some crowns and fillings have dropped without explanation out but nothing drastic. Hope you are ok

Jan

Perkymite
    Participant

Hi Tina, I thought that all biphosphenates could give what I think is Osteocronisis of the Jaw.

Kindest regards – vasbyte

David

(spelling is a guess 😀 )

TinaP
    Participant

I am having an operation on 29th Nov. The Maxofacial dr wants to smooth off
    the rough surface of the exposed porous bone and try and draw skin over it and put a patch on it!

I am very pleased it will be done under general and not local.

I will let you know how it all goes.

Love
    Tina

alpenator
    Participant

I have read on another MM Forum about the side effects from Zometa and it appears that patients in USA get more information and warnings about these than I did.
    I have been on Zometa for 7 months now and have only received the Macmillan leaflet which seems to me to treat the dangers lightly.
    I have told my dentist that I am on Zometa and will certainly not have any dental treatment without serious discussions with him and my consultant.
    One thing learned elsewhere is that Zometa should be stopped 3 months before and after any extraction.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Zometa’ is closed to new replies.