A Postcard from Venice

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  eve 11 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Helen
    Participant

Dear All
    We managed to get away to Venice and cruised up the Brenta canal to Padua, where we spent some time looking at the Giotto Frescos, the museum and town. Fabulous coffee shops and beautiful buildings. But we all loved Venice so much that we just spent much of the time mooching round the shops and the islands. This was the first trip we have taken in tidal water and it was very different, a bit hair raising really, when large container ships and liners go past and you get thrown around in their wake. A bit like being a cork in a bucket!
    I've still got this chest infection, so i took things really easy, didn't volunteer to be galley slave so the boys just had to drink beer! i finally steered the boat on the last day but otherwise just sat and watched the world float by. lovely 🙂
    chest infection is at 8 weeks now, 3 lots of antibiotics and still no sign of recovery I'm totally exhausted.! I'm having to stop all medication today for 2 weeks, just in case the revlimid is causing the problem. If no improvement by then- its a chest medicine referral. I'm hoping its just whooping cough and it gets better by itself 😛 i struggled to load this post for some reason so will try to load a photo or 2 if I finally manage to log in again
    Love
    Helen

eve
    Participant

Hi Helen

I was wondering were you were,good holiday shame about chest infection,i think there part and parcel of having a SCT,leaves your immune system so low,I think with winter coming on,I might just dose Slim with vitamins although he will moan about more tablets.

I enjoyed Venice when we went,but not to Slims taste hated the queues,went over by boat from one of the arms,surprised how many private beaches there are.
    Next time will leave the philistine at home. lol. Eve

Min
    Participant

Hi Helen,
    I wonder if you have considered Reiki?
    I have had six kidney infections in the past six months. Each time suffering back ache followed by stomach pain, high temperature, then up all night going to the loo. I was on lots of anti biotics and pretty darn sick of it whilst waiting for a scan. I was going off on holiday to Crete with a party of 30 widows and widowers, and it follows I wanted to imbibe but anti biotics would have put paid to that.
    I called a lady who had helped me a lot after Peter died, and she came and did her 'thing'
    For the first time in 6 months I was well,continuously……
    I don't know what she does I just know it works.
    Good to hear your getting on holiday too.
    Min

Perkymite
    Participant

Hi Helen, Lovely to hear off your trip I do hope the infection clears up for you. One of the comments in my Consultants follow up letter from my recent appointment said ?no infections yet? as if she was expecting some! It is the start of the flu season, my injection is 3rd November, which is not a good time for us all so I am keeping my fingers crossed for everybody.

I am at present scanning 69 years of photographs onto my computer. We have about ten very large boxes, I am talking 3?x2?x18? deep, and recently I started on 1973. Amongst them were photos of a trip we did to Venice at that time, we drove down from Dusseldorf in Germany. We had to laugh when we found a picture of my late son Robert aged 7 peeing over the side of the Gondola (he had a problem with his water works then).

Kindest regards ? vasbyte

David

Helen
    Participant

Hi Eve- I think the vitamins is a good idea, I catch every thing going these days. Venice wasn't too busy when we went, the advantage of the hire boat meant we could look at the crowds here and there then go in the opposite direction, we were a bit off season too so it was ok and the boys made sure I was steered away from coughing and sneezing people!

Min, I might just try Reiki, you are most unfortunate to have so must trouble, did you get away on your holiday? I do hope so.

Thanks David, how are your anniversary preparations going after your set back? I don't envy the photo task, my husband has been doing that with our photo archive recently, I think we have several extra hard drives now with all the photos on them. We have our flu jabs next week, hope it gives a bit of respite as well as protection from the bugs.
    Love Helen

Min
    Participant

Yes Helen I did get on holiday, it was brilliant. Loved every moment. Cried occasionally as we all did but on the whole laughed a lot too.
    To date I have now gone the longest time with no intervention except reiki and I got 'wellied ' most nights and some afternoons too, so put my kidneys under a lot of stress! Lost the stress at last.and learnt to relax at last,which I had forgotten how to do.
    . Talked the hind legs off the donkey,and looking forward to the next holiday in about 6 months time.
    Working as a volunteer, now and going to patchwork classes to turn Peters shirts into a quilt. So keeping busy. Moving forward slowly.
    Min x

Perkymite
    Participant

Actually Helen we are going to do something completely different. Our anniversary for the last 49 years has always been about Mo and Me. The norm would be to book an expensive exotic holiday, usually in the Indian Ocean or South China Sea area and off we would disappear, returning suitably bronzed.

This year we decided after much thought that in view of the circumstances we wanted to do something with the Grandchildren, no, I cannot afford to take then all the Maldives ? even if I could get insurance to go. So we asked the Grandchildren, ?If you could do anything in the world what would you like to do? (bear in mind ages are 9 to 18). Answer: go ten pin bowling and have a Pizza Express afterwards. So that is what we are doing, we have booked 4 lanes on the local Bowling Alley and reserved tables at the Pizza Express and the whole family is going bowling!

In addition for my Son/Partner and Daughter /Husband we have booked a Log Cabin in the very romantic little hamlet of Porthtowan, Cornwall (near Truro) for the anniversary weekend, 24th November, log fires and Hot tub, champagne etc?. for the six of us. Believe it or not we are actually hoping for just a [u]little bit [/u]of snow! (we always seek the sun ? now that is different)

And lastly we have six real good friends who have seen us through the problems of life as we have helped them and we have booked a first class restaurant for an evening out.

Mo and I are looking forward to it all.

Kindest regards ? Vasbyte

David

eve
    Participant

Dear David

I think you have cracked it,something for everyone,just watch your back when throwing those balls,have a lovely anniversary,love Eve

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘A Postcard from Venice’ is closed to new replies.