Another new member

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  robbojnn 9 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

doomysocks
    Participant

Hi all, my name’s Stu, just got diagnosed on the 21st with MM.
    I’m 33 which I hear is relatively young for this type of cancer. Which is probably why I don’t feel ill, I know it’s confusing my doctors haha.
    I got admitted to hospital with severe b12 deficiency and the paraprotien test was overlooked.
    When I went back for the check up, the doctor made sure it was done as a priority as he has some family history with bone cancers.
    And of course it came back positive, so I was telephoned at work, asking me to get myself to hospital asap.
    Had a bone marrow biopsy, do not ever want another one of those without a lot of drugs. Which came back with the dreaded news less than 4 hours later.
    The doctors and nurses have been brilliant explaining things. I’ve been started on the steroids (40mg dose, so 20 2mg tablets, it makes me giggle) and the stomach and kidney protection tablets, starting chemotherapy Tuesday (tomorrow).

Overall I’m taking it quite well, I’ve had a few cries. But I’ve come to the conclusion that I just have to take it as it comes. Reading others posts helps me to realise that I’m not alone in all this, even though I feel like it at times. I’m not the best at asking for help, but wanted to put this up. I feel I’m going to need it.

Etta
    Participant

Hi Stu, sorry you have had to join our group but welcome!

Everyone on here is very friendly, please don’t be afraid to ask for help or ask questions (no matter how daft they might sound) and don’t be afraid to cry, we’re all going through it.

Hope all goes well with the Chemo tomorrow, I know it might be hard but try and keep as active as you can because those steroids and chemo can waste your muscles away, just don’t overdo it though 🙂

All the best,
    Etta

Perkymite
    Participant

Hi Stu, I like your attitude – just the right one to have when dealing with MM. I have had Myeloma since 2009, when I was 67, and it is only this year that I actually got into full remission so keep your positive attitude because you will find it a bumpy old ride with lots of ups and downs.

MM affects everybody differently but we have similarities in treatment and the affects of treatment. So if you have a question do not be afraid to ask

Dexamethasone is a steroid and it might give you boosts of energy, I can climb Mount Everest after taking it, and sleepless nights but watch out for the lows, grumpy – short tempered – unreasonable – argumentative and negative attitude, which generally follow the highs.

Best of luck with your treatment.

kind regards – Vasbyte

David

rebeccaR
    Participant

Hi there and sorry you’re here but what’s done is done and you can only look forward now. I thought it was a cruel blow being diagnosed at 50 but at you’re age it just beggars belief. At Leeds I was told their youngest patient was in their twenties and contrary to what you may think getting it younger does not mean it is anymore aggressive it’s more bad luck. It sounds like your Dr was on the ball as being so young you would more than likely have otherwise been diagnosed at crisis point with ever lasting damage. I guess the positives you have is your age and fitness and whatever route you take you will always have the allo transplant as back up which could be curative but, as with everything, is not without significant risks. I am sure you will sail through chemo physically but MM is a real mind game as the “battle” is never won you just get to stalemate. So I guess I would advise work on your mental strength strategies and mindfulness as this is what will really get you through it. Exercise got me through it (first round only) and always remembering that “worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles, it empties today of its strength” – mental discipline is the key to not letting this ruin your life so stay strong and positive. What chemo are you having before your SCT?
    Rebecca

mhnevill
    Participant

Hi Stu

Sorry to have to welcome you here, especially as you are so young. However, as has lready been said, if your early treatment hits the MM hard before any bone or organ damage you stand a good chance of a full remission following treatment. Do you know what the long term treatment plan is for you.

Don’t be downhearted. I can tell you, the MM story is progressing so fast. Things are so much more hopeful than when I was diagnosed 4 years ago and there are more treatments in the pipeline.

Who knows, there might be a cure for MM in your lifetime.

All best wishes.

Mavis

robbojnn
    Participant

hi mate i’m 43 diagnosed 2 months ago, i know the feeling ups n downs crying etc… its not easy.

just out of interest you mentioned 20 steroids a day with other tabs and chemo. are you by any chance on myeloma xi trial? thats what i’m on, just had a weeks break (one cycle is mon/tues every week for 3 weeks chemo in hospital) followed by a week off.  i’ve finished one cycle, just had week off and i’m back for treatment tomorrow..

hope all goes well and if its any consolation  as rotten as it is being diagnosed with such  a frightening  condition are age is on are side treatment wise.. good luck and keep you’re chin up

robbojnn
    Participant

just out of curiousity whereabouts are you in uk

i’m being treated at blackpool victoria hospital

and as i’m on the same steroids insomnia is common so dont worry

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Another new member’ is closed to new replies.