Bon Voyage to Jet & Keith

This topic contains 17 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  tom 13 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

DaiCro
    Participant

I was in the Clinical Haematology Centre at City Hospital Nottingham yesterday, attending the Day-Case Unit and trying to sort out my leg. All the while I was there I kept an eye on the main entrance and the entrance to the lifts that take you up to Toghill and Fletcher Wards… our dedicated haematology wards.

I was drawn specifically to Fletcher Ward where all the SCT's are carried out and I was hoping to catch sight of Jet to wish her luck as she started her SCT journey yesterday… but she was either already settled in or had yet to arrive.

The very best to you anyway Jet… and to Keith, who went in on the same day (somewhere exotic no doubt but not Nottingham) for his 2nd SCT. I am sure I speak on behalf of everyone on the board as I wish you both as gentle a SCT journey as possible, with very few hitches and a speedy resolution towards the magic 0.01 Neutrofils.:-)

Good luck and Bon Voyage.

Dai.

BADGER
    Participant

I to would like to wish them both a safe journey lets hope the road is smooth with no sharp turns on the way
    GOOD LUCK JET AND KIETH

lOVE jOXX

brocho
    Participant

Good luck Jet and Keith hopefully you will be home again very soon ! It is definitely worth it so hang in there just think of being drug free ! love Bridget x

Min
    Participant

Hear Hear
    Min

gina45
    Participant

Good luck Jet and Keith xxxx

Elizellen
    Participant

Sending Jet and Keith all my best wishes and hopes for an uneventful procedure!

Luv
    Eliz
    XX
    X

Jet
    Participant

Wow! Just checked in and am very touched by the above comments. Thank you all!

I was supposed to go in on Monday afternoon, after a morning line flush and consultation with the lovely Dr Jenny Byrne, but there was no bed available. That was fine with me – I felt like I'd had a stay of execution and went out into Derbyshire with a picnic to celebrate.

I was then meant to go in yesterday morning, when you were in Day Case, Dai, but still no bed. Various phones calls led to them telling me to come at 5pm. At 4pm, I called to ask if I could come later and they then said, yes, come in at 8pm. They called me later and said sorry, but could I come in this morning at 8:30. So I went to see a movie instead – much better way to spend the evening, I reckon.

I checked this morning before leaving the house and they've now said to come in at 2pm and they will start the treatment today.

I'll believe it when I see it! 😀

DaiCro
    Participant

Picnics! Movies? Derbyshire???? (I am envious of the last to be sure).

Perfect timing… that means mephalan and stem cells returned before the week-end when everything quietens down and you can get on with the onerous duty of having nothing to report but us chickens.

Good luck with all of it Jet and I truly hope that I can look back on your blog and say that it was the most uneventful and boring report that I have ever seen or heard.

Truly.8-)

Dai.

Jet
    Participant

Ahhhh… thanks Dai! Me too! 🙂

Jet
    Participant

Thought I'd check in again and let you know I'm ok. No longer on a drip, just being monitored – weight, water in, water out, normal obs, blood. I keep brushing my teeth, using the mouthwash and Nystan oral stuff I have to swallow. So far, just a dry mouth and slightly loose stools.

It's very weird just waiting to be ill… which may or may not happen. But yesterday, I got dressed in proper clothes and went outside for a walk in the sun, with an obligatory mask on. Check out my blog for a photo if you want a laugh. 😀

I was talking this morning with one of the nurses, Vicki, who remembers you, Dai, very well. She asked after you and sends her best wishes. If you're in clinic or Day Case one day, you could pop up and say hi, although I think she may mostly do nights. She said she misses the follow-up contact, seeing people after they leave, when they're feeling well again, so if you get the chance and want to, it sounds like they appreciate seeing you/us afterwards.

Has anyone heard how Debs is getting on? I think she's going through STC too now, isn't she?

Jet x

brocho
    Participant

Hi Jet good to hear things are going well , I never doubted your positivity would get you through it without too many problems!! Debs is home , feeling rough but at least she is with her family which helps a lot . Remember to try not to overdo it and give in when your body needs a rest love Bridget

Jet
    Participant

Just a quick update…

I walked out of the ward this morning, albeit slowly, but I managed a fair walk to one of the on-site coffee shops, to buy some Ribena, which I can just about manage to drink. My throat is still really sore and closed, making it hard to swallow anything. I tried some chocolate, but that really wasn't a good idea. I felt ok when I got back to my room – no huffing or puffing. 🙂

I'm off the drips and antibiotics. All being well, they will send me home tomorrow, which pleases me no end. I can't wait to be able to drink a long glass of fruit juice, to sleep in a bed that doesn't crackle with plastic/rubber, to stroke my cat, to go to the loo without a bed pan, to see my garden.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. x

Perkymite
    Participant

Glad to hear things have gone well Jet.

I had the sore throat, although sore throat is a bit of an understatement, but I think you will understand. The ward Thai cleaner/helper suggested a Complan drink with Ice cream, Jelly and a mandarin or banana all whisked up. They were great, I used to vary the flavour of Complan to match the fruit, sucked through a straw it went down a treat. I lived on them for the 4 days it took my throat to heal.

Kindest regards ? Vasbyte

David

Elizellen
    Participant

I have been following your blog, Jet and am glad to read that you are almost at the going home stage!

I hope that throat soon improves so you can drink and maybe even eat with less discomfort before too long.

Eliz
    XX

brocho
    Participant

Great news Jet !! There really is no place like home and a spell in hospital certainly makes you appreciate it all the more . I hope your throat heals quickly , it is horrible when you cant eat or drink Dont forget take it slow when you get home ! love Bridget x

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Bon Voyage to Jet & Keith’ is closed to new replies.