Calcium levels

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  dusk 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

piatkaz
    Participant

Hi
    I’ve MM for6.5 years then all of a sudden I get told my calcium levels have gone up and showing slight increase in kidneys have been in hospital for 3 days having seline flushs and calcium levels dropped has anybody else had issues with this just a bit paranoid as this illness makes you.Yust started 2nd cycle of Pom and dex
    Thanks Ian

ellen

Dear Ian

I am sorry that no one has yet replied to your query; it may be that no one has had a similar experience. I hope you don’t mind if I try to clarify things for you.

It is common for myeloma patients to have raised calcium levels (hypercalcaemia) and this often occurs as a result of myeloma bone disease which causes calcium to leak into the blood stream. Hypercalcaemia can affect the kidneys and can cause other complications so it is important that the levels be kept under control. This can be done with intravenous fluids and bisphosphonates drugs such as zoledronic acid (formerly known as Zometa), Pamidronate or the oral tablet Sodium clodronate. If the intravenous bisphosphonates are used your kidney function will be closely monitored as they can also put the kidneys under added stress.

We do provide booklets on both Myeloma and the Kidney and Bone Disease and Bisphosphonates which can be downloaded from this site, or if you would like me to post them out to you then please do let me know.

I hope this has been of some help, but please do not hesitate to get back in touch if you have any further questions or if you would like to talk things over. My colleagues and I can be contacted directly by email to askthenurse@myeloma.org.uk or on the freephone Myeloma Infoline 0800 980 3332, which is open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.

With best wishes

Ellen

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by  webteam.

rosieb123
    Participant

Hi Ian,
    My husband is in hospital at moment too. He’s got an infection but has been told his kidney and calcium levels are high and is on a Iv drip to help flush them out. His light chain levels have been rising over the last few months but has doubled this month to 700. He’s been put back on dex to try to slow things down ( he had a hard time on dex so was put on a different steroid instead) he’s been here before but things have always settled with treatment, just thought I’d post to let you know your not alone.
    Best wishes, Rosie

Perkymite
    Participant

Hi Ian, Been off line for awhile but today I picked up yours post. When I started out on the Myelomer trail July 2009 I was told to drink plenty of waster – 6 Pints a day were were recommended. I have been trying to do that every since. I do not always hit my “quouter” for one reason or another but I would say my minimum is 3 pints.

I wold get drinking the water my friend.

kindest regards – vasbyte

David

jeff605
    Participant

Hallo bit off subject, but regarding ” drinking whatever quantity of water – this seems to vary depending who’s telling you – Although like David I struggle to meet the target with water, does it have to be water, or does any liquid ie tea, coffee, juices, even beer, count ? Just wondering, if I count everything most likely make it most days. Jeff

• This reply was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by  jeff605.

avantromp
    Participant

Hallo Jeffery
    I’m also off topic but I want give a warning about drinking a lot of tea. My creatinine level shot up during the hot weather so much that my consultant did a bone marrow test.He told me that tea works as a diuretic. I must still drink at least 1.5 litre water, however much tea I drink. Creatinine levels promptly reduced.
    Annette

jeff605
    Participant

Hi, Annette, thanks for the information, very useful and I shall restart trying harder to drink at least 2 litres of water – though I do like the isotonic sports drinks too ! Jeff

dusk
    Participant

Hi,

Although off topic too I want to dispel some common misconceptions.

Drinking sufficient fluid is essential to the body for optimal metabolic functioning, as over 70% is water. Even low level dehydration will raise serum creatinine levels in those with poorer kidney health status, as is often the case for many myeloma sufferers.

In hot weather the fluid intake has to be much greater than in colder weather because increased loss of fluid from the body, (not just urinary loss). Creatinine will go up in hot weather otherwise, due to increasing dehydration as kidney tries to balance excretion, (many drugs and metabolites are excreted with water), with re-absorption of water. Often darker urine is obvious when this happens. Adequate fluid replenishment is essential.

But the scientific evidence that for moderate habitual tea/ coffee drinkers the diuretic affect is greater than if only water was consumed  is not existing see:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3886980/

Doctors have assumed that other drinks other than water are a problem for keeping hydrated. As long as one drinks these in moderation they are all part of the total fluid intake that helps with hydration.  Of course water is cheapest, easiest and readily used, but leaving others out is not necessarily better for your hydration it would seem.

I doubt alcohol is counted as fluid in this context because alcohol dehydrates. But I am sure drinking 2/3 cups of tea with the balance from water of your around 3 litres daily is not going to be a problem Check with a dietician with up to date knowledge of this field. and understanding of your disease results.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Calcium levels’ is closed to new replies.