Chicken pox

This topic contains 9 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Ali 10 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Vicki
    Participant

Hi all

Quick question for anyone or mm nurse. Colin had sct in November. We were told at last visit in July to hospital that all bloods were spot on. Last weekend we went out with friends and their son and I've just been told that their two year old has chicken pox. Was it ok for Colin to be in contact with him post this late stage of sct or should he be getting some anti virals, just in case. He has had both chicken pox and shingles before?

Vicki

tom
    Participant

Hi Vicki and Colin

Well I would Phone the Nurse first thing to find out or if you have a contact Number for the hospital then I would use that.

Tom Onwards and Upwards xx

Ali
    Participant

Hi Vicki

All I know is a person with chickenpox is most infectious a couple of days before the actual rash starts. I would (as Tom suggested)phone the hospital in the morning, just to be sure. If you have had chickenpox before, they say you cant catch them again….but after SCT I do not know?

How are you both? Did I read Colin has gone back to work full time?

Love Ali x

janw
    Participant

Hi Vicki

You must be so worried about Colin catching chicken pox again. I had shingles ten months after my SCT with a very itchy and unpleasant rash all down my left side and arm together with feeling very poorly for three weeks.

As others have said, you should contact Ellen, the myeloma nurse, especially as she has carried out some recent research on the subject and wrote a very good article in the last edition of Myeloma Matters on why myeloma patients should not receive the current chicken pox vaccine. Apparently the vaccine contains a live virus which is not good with our weakened immune system. However, Ellen also stated there was a vaccine being developed without the live virus – perhaps she can provide you with some more information on this?

There is also a new one off shingles vaccination which will be offered routinely to patients aged 70+ on the NHS from this September onwards, but again this is not advised for patients with a weakened immune system. As you say, Colin might need some anti viral medication from the GP, especially as you need to begin the medication within a couple of days of the rash beginning for it to be effective.

Fingers crossed he will remain fit and well without any need for viral medication.

Jan W x

andyg
    Participant

Hi Vicki & Colin
    I was told I have to ring in immediately if I come into contact with anyone who had chicken pox, or had been in contact recently with someone with chicken pox and If someone who went on to have chicken pox.
    I haven't had chicken pox and I'm on anti viral drugs – just to make me rattle more – and they did stress that it was important I ring them right away.
    I don't know if its so bad as Colin has already had chicken pox but I do know you can catch it more than once though that is rare.
    If it was me I'd ring the hospital ASAP just to be on the safe side and get Colin checked out. They may give him some anti viral drugs too.

Every day is a gift.
    Don't forget to unwrap it.

Andy & Steph xx

Perkymite
    Participant

I concur with the advice given. It does no harm to speak to the hospital or our Myeloma Nurse. I would definitely seek advice.

Kindest regards – vasbyte

David

tonyf
    Participant

Morning, I'm sure you will contact a nurse and ask the right questions.
    This is just an aside, I had my stem cell transplant in early February, 6 months later, I had the first round of my baby jabs, would one of those jabs be for chicken pox? There were so many given at the sme time, I can't remember what they were all for.
    Best of luck
    Tony F

meganjane
    Participant

Hi Vicki,

I know every hospital is different (Phil has to wait 12 months post SCT to get his jabs again) but Phil is still taking Acilivor 4 times a day, my understading is this is the anti shingles drug. My friend had a suspected case of shingles and when I checked with the nurse I was told not to see her even though the risk to Phil was small. Hopefully by the time you read this you will have already talked to the nurse. It is hard to stay away from all germs, I ride the London Underground to get to work and I am always worried about what germs I might be bringing home!

Megan

Vicki
    Participant

Hi all

Thanks so much for your quick responses…..I reckon I worry for England and a bit more. World champion me :-).

Spoke to the sct nurse today and she said it was ok and no need to worry about anti virals. I still worry but a little bit less. Your support is much appreciated, :-).

Ali, yes we are ok. Had a bit of a blow with Colin's back. It's 6 months physio (vertebrae healed well but causing him to stoop as the fractur has thrown the vertebrae forward). Causes lots of pain….if the physio doesn't work major surgery on the cards (not a nice description so will save that). Hoping and praying the physio works! We are going out more and getting a bit more confident. He still gets tired though and the back isn't helping! How's your mum doing? 🙂

Andy like your motto….added to, a gift and unwrapping! Nice one :-). How's your renovations going? Hope all is well. We've had a few blips with ours but hopefully back on track now.

Take care all, be well and happy :-)…… And goes without saying healthy as well

Vicki and Colin x

Ali
    Participant

Hi Vicki,

Hmm that doesn't sound good, Colins back I mean. As if he's not got enough to deal with! Yes, fingers x for physio, they really can work wonders at times.

Mums good thanks. Still tires easily but she's just getting in with it. She had a bmb 4 weeks ago maybe and has not heard anything, assuming its no news is good news.

Glad to hear you are getting out and about abit more and when you have finished your work at home, book that holiday, it will do you both the world of good I'm sure.

Love Ali x

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Chicken pox’ is closed to new replies.