Collapsed Veins?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Perkymite 12 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

meeuu
    Participant

Hello good people,
    I have'nt been posting here for a while, although I still look in fairly regularly. My wife, Cecilia, has been doing quite well on Velcade since last November (after a somewhat difficult start) and in effect, does not experience any more side effects, eg PN, nausea etc. We attend the clinic every two weeks for treatment and all seems good, thank goodness. However there is one problem that is becoming a bit of a chore – collapsed veins in which to inject the catheter for blood test. Even though she uses the "warm wrap" on her arm it is very much a trial and error procedure until someone eventually (after sometimes three or four attempts by the nurses) succeeds. This can be quite painful, particularly when they have to probe into the hand for a result. I have mentioned to the staff about subcutaneous injection (of which I learned about on this site), but they seem to be reluctant to try it (we live in Ireland by the way).I would be grateful for your opinion, please.
    Still in admiration of you all,
    John

eve
    Participant

Hi John
    Slim has the same problem,he is also on Velcade to,I have suggested a picc line but they are worried about infections.
    What I do is try to get him drinking a lot before blood test,and I have bought a hot water bottle which I fill at home,and rap it up in a pillowcase,which is applied to his arm all the way to the hospital,it seem to have worked,before 2 nurses and four trys later not nice.So it is worth a try,bottles on for about an hour before bloods and treatment,
    Hope this is of some help Eve

brocho
    Participant

Hi John good to hear Cecilia is doing well please pass on my best wishes. There is nothing worse or more painful than people digging around in your arm trying to find a suitable vein !! We have to put up with enough without that too. Ask about a PICC line they are brilliant! They work on the same principle as hickman lines but completely under the skin, so less risk of infection and even better they are put in under a local anaesthetic The whole procedure takes about 15 mins or so followed by an x-ray to check it is in the right place. Another advantage is they can be used to take blood too. I have had 3 so far and highly recommend them Trouble is not all hospitals have staff trained to fit them but definitely worth enquiring . I hope you find a solution soon let us know how you get on love Bridget x

KeithH17
    Participant

Hi John,this is a problem I also have and have the bruises to prove it.
    I had my second sct last month and was having blood tests every day while in hospital and my veins just about packed up altogether.
    When I had my first transplant it was through a hickman line but this time the Melphalan was infused through a vein in my hand and some of it leaked out and burnt the tissue just below the surface of the skin.
    It still feels tender and I am left with scarred tissue which looks like a lump on my wrist which I've been told will be remain, although the tenderness will go in time.
    Still a small price to pay in the scheme of things.

Take care and I hope things improve in time.

Keith.

meeuu
    Participant

Thank you, Eve, Bridget and Keith. Cecilia had the Hickmann Line installed some years ago and it caused fierce infection problems eventually. I had forgotten about the Picc line, so I will ask about it next time, and let you know of the outcome.
    Kindest regards,
    John

Perkymite
    Participant

Hi John, Nice to hear from you that Cecelia is doing ok. Not a problem I have at the moment I have veins like tree trunks I am told!

Kindest regards ? vasbyte

David

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Collapsed Veins?’ is closed to new replies.