Dry and Brittle Fingernails

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Kazzam2 8 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Janet
    Participant

Hi All,

My fingernails were always nice and long but for the past few months they have gone very dry and brittle and flaky as well. I will mention it  to my consultant when I see her next month. Any thoughts about my little problem. I should also say that my teeth are not very good either, I don’t mind false nails but false teeth is another thing!!!

Janet X

avantromp
    Participant

Hallo Janet
    Your description matches my experience exactly. My only solution is to keep my nails very short. Are we on the same medication – Revlimid? No problems with my teeth.
    Annette

Janet
    Participant

Hi Annette,

My nails are very short now. I can remember when I had my daughter that my mum told me to cut my nails because I might scratch her, I don’t think I did cut them and I am sure I didn’t scratch her either.

The  medication I am on is a bone strengthening drug called Zoledronic , bladder control drug called Solifenacin and I am taking Turmeric as well.

Janet X

Dorothy
    Participant

My nails dry and split constantly I put coconut oil on them. My teeth have also been affected but I am seeing a consultant dents o keep them in check. So far no need for false teeth !!! Good Luck.

Dorothy
    Participant

oops consultant dentist…

Kazzam2
    Participant

Hi Janet and all,
    I match your description too, I am on Zometta bone strengthner, and zomorph, I am also on cycle 3 of velcade ( my first relapse after SCT). My feet and hands are very dry too. Does anyone have vertical ridges on hand fingernails? Mine started on a couple of nails pre diagnosis.

Best wishes

karen 🐱

faith
    Participant

I have started using coconut oil on my nails thanks Dorothy.
    I have vertical ridges on all of my fingernails, Karen, they seem to be getting worse just lately.
    All these things we have to put up with but we are still here which is good.

Janet X

avantromp
    Participant

Hallo All
    During the months before my diagnosis my finger nails started turning up at the sides. I asked my GP about it at the time and, after the diagnosis, the consultant. They both said there was no apparent cause but I feel it must have been connected in some way to MM because my nails are now a normal shape. They grow very fast but always split and tear. Ah well, there are plenty of worse problems.
    Annette

Dorothy
    Participant

Hi Janet
    I have the ridges on my fingernails, hey break easily and ‘peel’ too. I find the coconut oil is great on my feet and hands too in fact on all my skin. I have tried lots of creams but this seems to be the best so far. Just another side effect but as you say we are still here. I am being admitted on Monday 25th for SCT my first was 11 hers ago so hoping for another 11 years… Bless you and I hope you are feeling well

Dorothy

Kazzam2
    Participant

Hi all,

Wow Dorothy, 11 years 😀! Good luck for the 25th. Are they your own stems? Have they been in storage? Hope I am not being too nosey, just that I have some in storage for my next SCT, at my next relapse. Best wishes.

Just off to pile some coconut oil on, I definitely think there is some sort of connection with the MM and nail.

Regards to all.

karen😺

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Dry and Brittle Fingernails’ is closed to new replies.