Got on the forum at last!!!

This topic contains 22 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  tom 12 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

sandydeli
    Participant

Hi my name is Sandra i'm going for my stem cell transplant next Monday at the Freemans hospital Newcastle and just wondered if any one on here had had it done there??

Gill
    Participant

Cannot help with the hospital as we are in Southern Kent and covered by Kings College London. Just wanted to wish you the very best of luck Gill

brocho
    Participant

Hi Sandra welcome and well done getting on site! Sorry I cant help with the forum either as I live in Bedfordshire. Good luck with your sct, take your own mug with ( tea always tastes better than in plastic) Bridget

sandydeli
    Participant

Thanks Gill, it's just nice to actually be able to talk on here it's taken me a few attemps lol

sandydeli
    Participant

Cheers i will xxx Fancied takeing my own pillow and duvet but i don't spose that's allowed lol

Min
    Participant

Dont worry they dont keep anyone in much longer than they have to, my husband was out on both occasions of his transplant the same afternoon of the transfusion. !st time he cut the grass on the same day!!!!
    If you live localy they will expect you to return for bloods on alternate days. Ask Catherene Cox… Better being at home than catching hospital aquired infections
    Min

brocho
    Participant

Hi Sandra I would say its worth asking about your pillow Bridget

sandydeli
    Participant

mmm unfortunatly i live in Keswick so dont think they will let me home. Can't believe your husbandwas let home so soon how is he???

tom
    Participant

Hi Sandra

Just to wish you good luck 😀 dont know about the hospital (yours) I had mine done At Castle Hill in Hull8-)
    And I was allowed out on day 16 🙂

Tom "Onwards and Upwards" xxx

mhnevill
    Participant

Welcome Sandy

All the best for the SCT.

Mavis

sandydeli
    Participant

Thank's everyone for your messages has any one any tips on the ice thing???Do you take your own ??? Sandra.

Min
    Participant

They can supply it but its vile cheap ice pops. There is an Asda fairly near to the hospital in Gosforth if you have a sat nav go there 1st. Buy Ice lollies more interesting than plain old ice.
    There is a shop downstairs in the lobby but not much choice but the prices are crazy. Do a google map of asda in wallsend or Gosforth. Each of them is about 2 miles away.
    All the best
    Min

CarolBradley1
    Participant

Hi Sandra
    Welcome (but sorry you had to join us – Best of luck with the transplant. I had mine done at St Jame´s Leeds and they allowed me to take in both pillows and duvet (my husband also brought in a kettle which we kept discreetly tucked away in a cupboard but they knew I had it and understood as my room was so cold and the drinks were always tepid by the time they reached my room.
    Regarding the ice please ask them beforehand if they can give you anything – even if it´s just plain icecubes as from what others have told me it´s well worth while doing and I just wish I had know about it at the time I had mine as it does seem to have saved them an awful lot of the side effects.
    Anyway, I know we shall all be thinking about you and wishing you well.
    Love Carol xxx

eve
    Participant

Hi Sandra
    Just to say welcome,come to the right place for advice and tips,lots of people ahead of you on this journey,so they will be all rooting for you. love Eve

Debs
    Participant

Hi Sandra

Good luck with it all…I'm a month post transplant now!

I was told I could have a duvet etc….some people I know were told they had to take a brand new one in if they wanted to, and I was told I'd need to change the cover every day or so….I ended up not bothering even though we had the new duvet at home…i was so hot in the hospital I couldn't bear the thought of my beloved duvet!!

I would make sure you take fragrance free toilet wipes…if you are unlucky enough to get diahorrea, they are an absolute godsend I can promise you!!!

I hope it all goes really well for you
    Debs x

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Got on the forum at last!!!’ is closed to new replies.