Hair

This topic contains 23 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  tom 11 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

faith
    Participant

Hi, to you all

My hair is vey dry and brittle, never like this before MM. It has now started to get me down,it never looks nice. I have tried all different shamppo's and conditioner's with no difference to my hair. Silly question but have you any ideas what I could try next?

Thanks

Janet

mhnevill
    Participant

Hi Janet

Interested that you have the same problem as me. The annoying part is, I didn't have any problem all the time I was on CDT, but since I finished, nearly two months ago now, my hair has thinned alarmingly and, like yours, is very brittle and dry.

Let's hope someone has a solution for us!!!

Best wishes any way.

Mavis x

tom
    Participant

Hey Girls as a mere "male" I can only add I was nearly bald before SCT and went Bald then Back to Nearly Bald was my hair brittle/dry ?? I aint a clue (am a male) but Hope you get it sorted and some better answers than I have gave 🙂

Lots of love Girls xxxx

PeterJames
    Participant

As an older male still with all my own hair & a beard, silly question time !
    Will I loose my hair when I have my SCT, from the posts it appears that this will go, not too bothered , it may grow back
    What about the beard, that hides my weak chin, so says the wife, will the beard fall onto the bed sheets ?
    Peter James

Michele
    Participant

My hair definitely thinned out when I was on CTD but didn't fall out completely until I had the SCT.

In a way, the thinning out prepared me for having no hair at all and what I thought would be the most dreadful side-effect turned out to be no problem at all to cope with.

It's the huge dose of chemo that will ping out every hair folicle. get yourself a couple of pretty scarfs or woolly hats and when it's cold outside nobody will notice that you're bald.

After about 6 weeks my hair started to sprout again and much to my delight it's now thick and lush. Very soft too. I didn't expect that!

I was told that eating a brazil nut every day (for selenium) and a spoonful of honey would help my hair grow that way and it did.

7 months on, I'm about to have my first trim at the hairdressers……:-)

DaiCro
    Participant

I too am mainly bald (evidence to your left) and when my hair started to fall out Janet gave me a No.1 which, on a man,, looks quite neat and tidy. I stayed like that until my post SCT recovery and when it grew back it was the same as my teenage years, thick curls up and out a la Art Garfunkel… at one point I thought MM had found a cure for baldness… but it was short lived, although if I leave it my hair still curls.;-)

Saying that I cannot imagine anything worse for a woman than thin brittle hair… I hope those affected find a product to help thicken and provide volume.:-)

Dai.

peggy
    Participant

I'm just started cycle 5 of VCD. I noticed my hair start thinning on cycle 2. By cycle 3 it was coming out in handfuls, usually a day or two after taking the cyclophosphamide component of the VCD. On Tuesday I took my last cyclophos and guess what is happening this morning?

I used to have longish hair but now it's dead short especially at the back. My hair started falling out at the back and when I caught sight of myself in a mirror it looked like a short bob with a 3 inch long rat's tail projecting not quite 3/4 round the back of my head. It made me laugh but it looked so silly that I had to cut it off. From the front it still looks okish but the back is continually getting shorter and shorter probably a number 1 (not sure of men's categories) with a thin curtain of hair overhang.

I'm on the list now to get a wig however long that takes.

Peggy

PatG
    Participant

Flippin eck Peggy! Do you know if this happens to everyone on VCD? I start treatment on Tuesday for AL Amyloidosis and was hoping I would keep my hair this time. I had breast cancer in 2003 and lost my hair then. Not insurmountable, but we are coming into winter and it will be a bit cold to say the least.
    As for the dry, brittle hair Faith and Janet, have you tried some of the oil treatments on the market? Hope you find a solution.

Pat

faith
    Participant

Thanks for all of your replies.
    I had my SCT just over 5 years ago, I lost all of my hair and it did come back thick and curly. This past couple of years it has gone dry and brittle. I think that I should have it cut short really wanted to grow it though. Looking at it another way, I am still here even if my hair looks naff :):)
    At last, I managed to put a photo of my self and my hubby Roger

All my best wishes

Janet
    xxx

Nettie
    Participant

Hi
    Have you tried the Evolife products that are designed especially for people with cancer? They sell a product called Evocapil Shampoo which may be worth a try. The Evonail is excellent for brittle nails but I have not used the shampoo yet but as I am also having similar problems with my hair I will order some and let you know how I get on with it.

http://www.farmaline.co.uk/health/order/evocapil-shampoo/

Nettie

mhnevill
    Participant

Hi Nettie

Thanks for this contact. I will try it and let folk know.

Love Mavis x

Jentay
    Participant

I'd recommend L'Oreal Extraordinary Oil. It's a light flower oil, not at all greasy, which you apply to either wet or dry hair. I rub a couple of drops between my palms and apply it to my hair before I dry it. Another tip is to lower the heat on your hair dryer to a medium setting.If it's too hot then it will make your hair drier than ever.

After 20 months of Rev and Dex my hair was becoming very dry and brittle but the oil has restored its life. It costs about £10 a bottle from the styling section at Boots and is worth every penny.

Hope it works for you too,
    Jen.

Nettie
    Participant

Hi Jen
    Thanks for this tip, I have bought some L'Oreal Extraordinary Oil and it is great. I am also on Revlamid and Dex and my hair has suffered but it is beginning to look much better already. The oil smells devine too!
    Nettie

Jentay
    Participant

Hi Nettie,
    So glad the oil is working for you too. It makes such a difference to how we feel if our hair is looking good, doesn't it?

Jen

tom
    Participant

Well Ladie's am pleased you are all sorted with your hair 😀 now take a look at my photo and let me know what help you can give to mine Ha ha.

Enjoy Today as the Sun Will be out 😎

Love Baldy Tom "Onwards and Upwards" xxx

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Hair’ is closed to new replies.