Happy News!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Min 13 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Gaye
    Participant

No, I haven't just given birth at 65 nor anything like that, but when living with myeloma we all go through difficult times and mine recently has been and still is a bit like that. I have just opened my post and found a letter from HM Inland Revenue and my usual letter, card, photo and school report from a child I sponsor in Kenya. Horrified with the prospect of underpaying my tax, imagine my surprise to find that I have overpaid by £533.40 and a cheque is winging its way to me as we speak.

However, the most important one is from Eunice, age 12, from Embu in Kenya. I first met Eunice when I went on a working holiday back in 2003. She was 5, very ill with malaria and pneumonia and parents who were completely unable to care for her. Well to cut a long story short we were able to get her cared for in a wonderful Children's Home which is supported by people mainly from the UK but also Canada and Germany. I became her sponsor and went to see her again in 2007. I recognised very early on that she was a very bright child and somehow she just grabbed the opportunity she had been given. Today her school report tells me that yet again she is No 1 in her class – she was moved to a private school who gave her a bursary because she wasn't being stretched enough and she has gone from strength to strength.

I cannot tell you enough just how proud I am of her. Sadly I will not be around to see her achieve her ambition to be a doctor but I know she will do it. It has also been such a joy to see her blossom from such pitiful beginnings. While I welcome the tax rebate, it is seeing her hard work and determination paying off that has made this such a happy day for me.

Sorry to ramble on but I am absolutely chuffed!

Love, Gaye xx

brocho
    Participant

Dear Gaye well if anyone deserves a bit of cheer its you and even better if the dreaded taxman is sending you money Eunice sounds delightful and very talented , she is a very lucky girl too having found a sponsor like you .It must give you so much joy to see her grasp the new opportunities with both hands .I really hope that you are able to go and see her again, it must be so exciting for both of you They say good news comes in 3s so heres hoping the next bit of good news is about your treatment lots of love Bridgetx

michelleakitt29
    Participant

Hi Gaye

I certainly second what Bridget has said, I am proud of her for you, well done Eunice, She sounds a wonderful young girl.

Oh and how fab what a lovely surprise from the taxman just in time for Christmas.

Good luck with your treatment.

with much love michelle x x

meeuu
    Participant

Dear Gaye,
    That is a most wonderful story, particularly at this Christmas time. Your kindness is a wonderful example of the human spirit that seems to be lacking at times in this crazy world. I salute you.
    Love
    John

Gaye
    Participant

Thank you all for your lovely replies. Yes, she is a very special girl to me and puts me to shame in that she speaks 3 languages including English. The children in Kenya now have free, compulsory primary education but secondary education is not compulsory yet and therefore has to be paid for. The children love going to school because they so want to learn. Wonderful isn't it!

Love, Gaye xx

PS The cheque from the Inland Revenue has arrived. Hoooray …….!

Min
    Participant

Gaye,
    Peter and I travelled to Kenya about 15yrs ago. We stayed in a hotel I thought was Paradise, visited the local infant school, and was amazed at how pristine the children were turned out whilst living in such unimanginable filth. You should be very proud to have given her a start she would never have otherwise had.
    I am sure she will make you proud of her and will never forget your faith in her.
    I am chuffed for you too.
    Min

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Happy News!’ is closed to new replies.