High Myeloma Incidence

This topic contains 47 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  dickb 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
  • Author

dickb
    Participant

Well, they do say that the three big risk industries for MM are Agricultural, Nuclear and Chemical. Looking at the amount of chemicals used in modern farming let alone in everyday products and the increase in radiation in the atmosphere since the 60’s the question really should be why haven’t more of us got it. Beter be careful, MM can be used to mean Melton Mowbray as well as Multiple Myeloma. Another link between the town and the illness.

Stanstan
    Participant

Hi Richard

2 out of the 3 we knew in a our village on the Island were Electrical Engineers, one was a Telecom Engineer. I worked with an electrical firm for a year!!!???
    Totally confused. Another friend, was a postman. Maybe there is nothing to relate anything with. Maybe all questions should be asked. Diet, life style, job. Etc etc. x x

Kazzam2
    Participant

Hi All, not been on for a while and have only just stumbled on this. Very interesting! I live in Oakham, 9 miles (ish) from Melton Mowbray. We live a 2 minute walk from a plastic engineering factory. Twenty years ago I worked for 5 years (North West of England) for Nuclear Electric, catering for workers, labs etc. So I could take my pick from a few causes, I also used to have permed hair, for around 15 years, I have read articles about Perms and hair dye which makes me wonder too.

I attend LRI for treatment, including Zometta. Earlier this year I got chatting to a fellow sufferer in the waiting room of clinic, he let on to a man who had just arrived, then he told me that he was a former work colleague and one of 5 others that worked at the same company now suffering MM, (radiation was mentioned). Guess where they worked? Melton Mowbray! Food for thought eh?

I have mainly worked in catering, was diagnosed aged 50, I am female and touch wood the only member of my large extended family to suffer this dreadful cancer.

Good luck to you all. xx Karen

jeff605
    Participant

Hi, Karen, most likely me you were talking to, it’s now up to nine plus one more I haven’t actually met face to face but have been told of,of my ex – maintenance colleagues that I have bumped into at the LRI clinics who have developed Myeloma. Really does seem to have some significance. Jeff

jeff605
    Participant

Quick update, was in the local surgery helping one of my daughters attend for blood tests – bit like who’s helping who as I am recovering from surgery- when lo an behold , yet another ex workmate in the early diagnosis stages of Myeloma . That brings the total to eleven of us ex maintenance personal with myeloma !!

tonyf
    Participant

Bit too much of a coincidence me thinks!

jeff605
    Participant

Yes, it certainly seems more than a statistical “blip” . As I’ve said before, I have no idea what the Myeloma incidence among the production workforce is. I have mentioned it to consultants in the past when I only knew of 3 or four other workmates with Myeloma, I’ll do so again now there are more of us. Jeff

dickb
    Participant

Hi Jeff,

if I remember rightly, in the early 90’s the company you worked for started reducing its workforce by investing in new technology, you’ll know more about it than me. But, if that is so then the incidence of MM within former employees is even higher and on that point I think it really needs serious investigation. I am happy to contact various people such as senior politicians (of course hoping the lobbyists haven’t bought their silence), academics etc.

jeff605
    Participant

Hi, Richard, Although I don’t believe that the firm concerned – all right lets name it, Pedigree Petfoods as it was then, would ever knowingly expose it’s employees to risk through exposure to dangerous substances, it just wasn’t that sort of company, based as it was on Christian principles, it would be a very positive step to be able to name at least one factor that leads to Myeloma developing.
    I would be more than happy for you to pick this up, let me know – perhaps PM would be the best way ? what further information I can help with Jeff

lezastarkey
    Participant

Hi all, my husband is a firefighter and has MM.  On researching any links to this career and MM there does appear to be a link. When we asked consultant he would only say that he was seeing too many firemen. Says it all.

Any other firefighters out there?

Leza

N Wales

alant
    Participant

Hi Leza firstly sorry to hear about your husbands situation, but i was a firefighter for 32yrs and retired in 2007.In 2014 I was diagnosed with Non secretory Myeloma i never asked the question with my consultant if it had anything to do with the job,who knows and I wonder if it will ever be known.Good luck too him.

jeff605
    Participant

hi Liza and Alant, First, I’d like to wish you both the very best in your struggle with Myeloma. It certainly is a life changing development !!! That’s very interesting, my consultant more or less turned a deaf ear when I mentioned the number of ex – workmates from the maintenance department I had met at the clinic with Myeloma. I suppose firemen must be exposed to many chemicals and substances, and often hot of course. I wonder if this un-representive number of firemen is true across the country, and are there “blips” in other occupations. Surely it must be important to establish what triggers Myheloma off.
    All the best to all of you out there, Jeff

Stanstan
    Participant

Hi Leza
    So sorry, it is a journey. I cannot understand why,mwhen you are diagnosed, you are not given a questionnaire. Lifestyle, occupation, diet so they can develop some sort of overall,perspective. All Charlie was asked, “Did you work in the petroleum industry?” That was it. There must be a common denominator and how can they find that out without asking questions.
    Love Us and Upwards and Onwards. X

eve
    Participant

Occupations have been talked about concerning Myeloma,

If you think about it chemicals exist in basic materials for every day use,for example wrapping on food,which is put into a microwave !!,

Jobs that you have done in your life ,Farmers service Men,anyone who came into contact with Chemicals,I think why there is no direct research into this is they already know that chemicals have Cancer links,and the main research is trying to discover how it effects one persons DNA but not another person.
    When people are on trials the data collected is used in research and over the past few years they have uncovered lots of information from BMB,I do not think it will be long before future generations of Myeloma people will be treated individually based on there DNA, let’s hope this will be the way forward and all the people that have been on trials and died,have helped this come about.Eve

lezastarkey
    Participant

Thanks all for your relies to my comment to.

House fires, car fires, toxins and chemicals I believe after my research and questions to various doctors and consultants are linked to MM.  Indications were given to us that there are links to farmers and firefighters and that’s just after our small amount of researching and questioning.

Who is ever going to take on this can of worms?

Phils currently in Christies having had SCT. Staff are amazing and facilities are 1st class.

Hope to have him home in a couple of weeks.

Good luck all.

Leza Starkey.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘High Myeloma Incidence’ is closed to new replies.