Hospital

This topic contains 16 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  tom 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

eve
    Participant

Hi All

Well Slims been in hospital since last Friday,coming out today,(fingers crossed)

Went to see consultant last Friday,had a slight temperature ,so I had given him 2 paracetamol ,I thought he was starting a chest infection,just told me not to give him paracetamol ,and call in if temperature went over 38,lasted until 6pm,in – A&E by 7pm,packed out,!!!!
    The morning bloods were Nuets 0.3 platelets 25 WBC 1.4 potassium 2.9 and fever with chest hurting,so I do not have to tell you what he was like by 7pm., A&E treated him sitting in wheelchair,!!! I pushed him up to ward and got him into bed,cannot fault the treatment!!! It just so worrying,with -A&E packed out,and staff rushed off there feet.!!!
    48 hours ,we're worrying ,,picked up,but blood readings!!!!,
    I left him this morning with potassium at 2.4,been on potassium most of the time between bloods,and having injections to produce white blood cells.
    The last 3 times we have Ended up in A&E and it's packed out,no beds to be had,the NHS is under immense pressure in SEK.

Does anyone out there know why the body is not retaining the potassium !!!And magnesium !!!!.
    It's got past the stage of bananas and apricots.
    Leaving hospital this afternoon,but in for bloods Friday then starting 5 cycle of Revilimid on Monday,he is desperate to come out,they say no infection,but he is chesty out of breath,and his colour is poor,. Grateful for some help!!! Eve

meganjane
    Participant

Hi Eve,

I am sorry that I can't help answer your question but I just wanted to say I hope Slim is home now and that the blood test tomorrow shows improvement in his numbers.

Please keep us posted, you help so many of us on this forum I hope someone will pop in who knows the answer to your question. Were Ellen or Maggie on the infoline able to help at all?

Megan

Ali
    Participant

Hi Eve

I'm sorry to hear that Slim has
    Been in hospital, and like Megan, I can't answer your question.

Hope things are on the up tomorrow.

Remember to look after yourself too Eve.

Love Ali xx

mhnevill
    Participant

Hi Eve

Love to you both from me too. Sorry can't help with specific questions.

Mavis xx

janw
    Participant

Hi Eve

So sorry to hear Slim is in hospital. Hopefully his potassium levels will improve with his current treatment in hospital. After my four cycles of CDT, I spent five days in hospital being treated for low blood counts and poor potassium/magnesium levels. Again after my SCT, I had many bags of potassium and magnesium to improve the levels, but nobody explained why the levels reduce so quickly or why the body begins to retain better levels after treatment. I presume our bodies are not absorbing the required levels whilst we are taking the huge amount of cancer drugs or the kidneys are excreting the magnesium from our bodies. Hopefully, Slim's doctors will provide the explanation.

Regards Jan x

Eva
    Participant

Hi Eve,
    I'm in London for tests and new treatment. Everything rather overwhelming so this response will be very brief. You can buy potassium tablets – check out a range called 'Solgar' on the net or go to a good shop. Of course, it might be an idea to check with consultant whether this is ok. I take potassium about once a week and it's kept my values within range even though on very heavy treatment.
    Best to you and Slim,
    Eva

bandityoga
    Participant

Hi Eve

Sorry to hear Slim has been in hospital. It is a worrying time for you.

The wet room will be finished today and it is looking good. Will be happy when all the workmen have gone and I can relax.

Looking forward to having Ian home.

Maureen x

onlyme
    Participant

Sorry you have slim back in hospital..

Thoughts with you
    Hope things are improving..

Remember to look after yourself too !

Xxxxx

eve
    Participant

Hi Everyone

Well home again,this time with different sickness tablets,to take half an hour before potassium,let's hope it works,I am phoning this afternoon to find out what legal potassium is.
    Asked the young doctor why the body is not retaining all the potassium,but she does not know.so it's a wait and see game.Eve

BADGER
    Participant

hi Eve

sorry to hear about slim as if you havn't enough to worry about don't really know much about potassium except with my kidneys I have to try and avoid it but its coffee that puts mine up I love coffee but if i have a
    lot of it, it shows up in my blood tests and I have to cut back I dare not have bananas much
    Thinking of you both love Jo

Vicki
    Participant

Hi eve

Just catching up and sorry to hear slim has been in hospital. The hospital sounds chaotic, and blimey comes to something when you have to take him up to bed! The neutrophils sounded very low so glad to hear there has been a improvement, can't help with the potassium but just wanted to give some support 🙂

Hope slim is feeling better and you not too knackered 🙂

Vicki and Colin xx

eve
    Participant

Hi Everyone

Thank you for your imput,Eva I managed to get some that are 20 percent potassium daily allowance,so if I cannot get the high dose stuff from the hospital down him,I can at least give him a bit of a boost. It not that he will not take it,he just vomits up an hour later,which brings to question,how much of the other tablets are coming up as well.
    Slim has started GCSF injections three times a week,to boost his white cells,phoned twice to the hospital for blood results,never got a reply. So Monday he starts chemo plus has Zometa,will be interesting to see blood results. If his nuets are over 0.6 he will start 5 cycle.
    Vicky his bloods have been neuropenic for the last couple of months,but pick up on his week off!!!,it's just the fact he got a chest infection that caused the Neutropenic Sepsis,caught early,having RIVAROXABAN ,plus anti biotics.So in theory bloods should pick up.

Ian understand why they try to hit the Cancer as hard as they can,but I also can understand the danger of infection,and what it can do to the body in a short space of time,each one makes the recovery period a bit longer,weight just drops off.Eve

Perkymite
    Participant

Hi Eve, Sorry to hear of your problems. And again sorry if I have missed something here but why not 'phone our Myeloma Nurse?

Kindest regards – vasbyte

David

eve
    Participant

Hi David

I asked the doctor on Friday ,why his body has not absorbed the potassium,he has had 2 bags a day!!!,although anti biotics do take a lot away,with diarrhea !!! In theory his body should have absorbed some potassium ,I asked the doctor and she was honest and said she did not know why. I hoped someone on here might have an answer or had the sane problem.

Then the weekend came and Ellen and Maggie are 9 to 5 five days a week.

In hospital on Monday so might have some answers. Eve

andyg
    Participant

Hi Eve.
    Glad to hear Slim is back home. I only know taking laxatives or diarrhea cause a drop in potassium levels. The tablets they give me to boost my potassium levels are really awful. Hope they get it sorted soon.

Every day is a gift
    Don't forget to use it.

Andy xxx

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Hospital’ is closed to new replies.