Morris & Me

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Gill 13 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

DaiCro
    Participant

I have to join that unhappy club that several others here have joined recently in reporting that my mate Morris, my 14 year old Border Collie was put to sleep last week. One night of not eating, standing in one place and panting and we had him into the vets pronto. The vet kept him in for an x-ray and found an inoperable (80% chance) mass behind his ribs, most likely attached to his spleen. The vet said that he was willing to do an exploratory but he stated that even if it was operable, that it would be a risky operation for a young fit, healthy dog and that Morris being fourteen… so I asked for him to be put down.

It was a difficult decision, especially when the vet said that following some anti-inflammatories, pain relief and a sedative that he was bright eyed and woofing. I had the opportunity to take him (and a hatful of medicines) home for a few days before the exploratory but I could not bear the thought of him going through another night like the previous one – neither did I want to see him first – I knew that if he came in looking temporarily bright eyed and bushy tailed for our goodbyes and then to be left behind would be cruel and I could not stand the thought of that.

I was shocked because it all happened so quick. He was only a dog… but to me? What a dog… and much, much more. A constant companion, a true character, a real friend and someone (rather than something) that offered me unconditional love… wherever, whenever, whatever.

Janet and I are pragmatic and we both retain a sense of proportion and perspective… but for the last week our grief has been as real as real and there is a dog sized hole in our lives that we are very, very reluctant to replace.

Dai.

brocho
    Participant

Dear Dai I am so sorry to hear you have lost your dog Its hard to say goodbye to them like that , our 16yr old mongrel put to sleep a few years ago , as you say it happens so quickly. People who dont have dogs in their lives often cant see what a big gap they leave , just the same as any family member . love to you both Bridget x

Min
    Participant

DAI
    I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your faithful friend, [i]He was never just a dog.[/i] And he looks a handsome chap.
    I have had to do the same with my 1st collie and labrador and the sense of loss is overwhelming. Not being greeted in the morning and when you come home leaves a massive hole to be filled. This is why I have 3 dogs! The grief of losing the last one made me determined to 'have one in reserve so to speak as the guilt of getting a replacement is very real. Truth is you cannot replace them but you can get a new friend.
    MIn

Perkymite
    Participant

It is nearly 8 months since we buried our Border Collie, Guinness – he was black and white and had a good head on him – 15 1/2 years of great friendship.

I kept him alive too long because I could not bear to lose him, he suffered in the last month because of my selfishness, something I will always regret. I called the vet three times and three times I turned him away but in the end even I could see how unhappy he was.

I know how you feel Dia, time will not heal, I still miss my Guinness.

Kindest regards, Vasbyte
    David

Gill
    Participant

I'm so sorry to hear that you have lost your friend and companion. We have 2 Westies 1 is 2 and one 3 months but the thought of parting from either of them is horrid.

Dogs are not children nor human but yes they are part of your family and take a space in our lives and what a big dog sized hole there must be in your home at the moment.

There is a poem further down this page but a warning to all Do not read it unless you have a box of tissues and don't mind blubbing

Lend Me a Pup

I will lend to you for awhile,
    a pup, God said,
    For you to love him while he lives
    and mourn for him when he's dead.

Maybe for twelve or fourteen years,
    or maybe two or three
    But will you, 'till I call him back,
    take care of him for me.

He'll bring his charms to gladden you
    and should his stay be brief,
    you'll always have his memories
    as solace for your grief.

I cannot promise he will stay,
    since all from earth return
    But there are lessons taught below
    I want this pup to learn.

I've looked the whole world over
    in search of teachers true
    And from the folk that crowd's life's land
    I have chosen you.

Now will you give him all your love
    Nor think the labour vain,
    Nor hate me when I come
    to take my Pup back again.

I fancied that I heard them say
    "Dear Lord Thy Will be Done,"
    For all the joys this Pup will bring,
    the risk of grief we'll run.

We'll shelter him with tenderness
    We'll love him while we may
    And for the happiness we've known
    forever grateful stay

But should you call him back
    much sooner than we've planned,
    We'll brave the bitter grief that comes,
    and try to understand.

If, by our love, we've managed,
    your wishes to achieve
    In memory of him we loved,
    to help us while we grieve,

When our faithful bundle
    departs this world of strife,
    We'll have yet another Pup
    and love him all his life.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Morris & Me’ is closed to new replies.