Nearly 1 year

This topic contains 11 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Perkymite 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Gill
    Participant

Stephen died on the 11th September last year aged 57. In some ways it seems a long time ago, but mostly it is like it has just happened.

It is the most painful thing that has ever happened in my life. I go from being devastated to very angry. How dare he die!!!

We bought a run down house in a tiny village in a very rural farming area of France (Stephen was a Francophile but no matter how hard he tried and how many lessons he had, the language just never sank in)

At first I was going to sell the house in France, not worth much but I was scared of doing the journey (Central France is a heck of a long way from just outside London)

I have been back once since Stephen died, but with a friend. Although she would not drive an inch on the entire journey of 16 hours and didn't like France, she was there.

I have bitten the bullet and have booked to go on my own (with our 2 naughty little terriers)

I am trying very hard to hold on to what Stephen always said "apart from illness and death, in a free world they cannot take your breath away"

OK if I go wrong I will put up my hands and get on with it.

I am determined to do this and am sure you will all wish me luck.

Love, good health and good wishes to all Gill xxx

Carolsymons
    Participant

Be brave Gill, Stephen will still be with you.

Carol

dickb
    Participant

Good for you, plucking up the courage to do something is always the hardest part. Once you set off, it will be easier.

susannah
    Participant

Hi Gill I cant believe its a year since Stephen died. I just wanted to wish you all the best for your journey Im sure Stephen will be with you every step of the way. I do admire you

All my love

Suex

eve
    Participant

Hi Gill

Stephen had every faith in you!!!,Gill in all the years Slim and I have been driving to France 20 odd years,Slim never ler me drive>:-( :-S 😛 , well when he took ill,he could not drive,I had to get into a 8 metre 4 1/2 ton Motorhome and drive home from Mimmerzan on the west coast of France. He did say he thought he was having a heart attack,said I took round abouts to fast.

All this time I was breathing deep breaths and saying to my self come on you can do it:-) after half an hour it was easy peasy,so you can do it,unless you start crying and cannot see the road,

I take a lot of deep breaths,work wonders,you have your lovely dogs for company,once you have done it, it's another thing you have achieved,there are going to be lots of first Gill but if anyone can do it you can. Love Eve

tom
    Participant

Hey Gill

You can and will do it, and am sure tears will flow on the road and when you get there.
    sending big hugs and a bit of strength to help you as you travel.

Love Tom (((((HUGS))))) xxx

Tina
    Participant

Hi Gill,

I wish you all the very best for your journey and I am sure it will be tough especially on a long drive on your own when you have plenty of time to think.
    Although it's already been a year now Stephen will most certainly be with you throughout probably whispering for you to slow down!

My very best wishes to you

Tina X

Gill
    Participant

Hi Tina and thank you for your good wishes. One thing you did get wrong was Stephen urging me to slow down! I always stuck to the speed limit. It drove him mad He was terrible driving well over the limit hence so many speeding fines even in France.

Hi Eve I am so impressed with you driving your motorhome. It does give me a little more confidence that I will manage to get my little Chrysler PT cruiser there and back OK

Obviously I will let you all know how I get on

Love from Gillxx

DaiCro
    Participant

Well I for one will be following:

[quote][b] 'Gill's Big French Adventure'[/b][/quote]

I realise that this journey is a [b]'Big Thing'[/b] for you… especially given the anniversary and all the other connections and connotations. At least you have already broken your duck by visiting the house and village with your friend.

Even if you had a dozen family members and friends lined up and willing to accompany you I am glad you are making this particular trip on your own. I imagine you will have some ghosts that you want to stir into life… and others that you will want to lay to rest… well good luck to you and if there are moments of doubt and others of 'scardey cat' significance… then send out a thought and imagine all those thoughts returned with all the loving support that we can muster. You may be on your own… but there is no need to be lonely… and you will always have Stephen… not behind you but beside you… laughing, encouraging and most of all, just being.

The very best of good fortune in your 'Big Adventure' Gill. Please keep in touch and tell us your stories as or if you can.

Dai.

san
    Participant

Hi Gill, hey you have your lovely dogs with you great 😀 it will be good to hear your news when you get back, love to you on your journey, sending good wishes, San x

mhnevill
    Participant

Hi Gill

Just wanted to add my admiration and my best wishes for what you are attempting. Yes, Stephen's presence will certainly be willing you on. Rest in some lovely memories of special times in your special place.

Lots of love.

Mavis xx

Perkymite
    Participant

+1 Dai.

Go for it Gill, in my world Stephen will be right on your shoulder. He may not be able to be with you physically but he will be there.

I wish you al the best on your personal adventure.

My kindest regards – Vasbyte

David

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Nearly 1 year’ is closed to new replies.