Neutropenia Sepsis

This topic contains 10 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Helen 11 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

KeithH17
    Participant

Hello everyone
    I'm typing this after just been discharged from Hospital. Last week I had a slight cough and on Friday morning my throat was on fire and I felt terrible. My temperature started to rise during the day and reached 39.1 and my heart rate was right off the scale. I went to bed thinking I could beat it off with Paracetamol and hot drinks but after less than 30 mins I rang the Hospital and was admitted early into AEU as there were no beds in haematology. The Nurse showed me to my room and said I would be assessed shortly which was after nearly 2 hours (4.30 am). Details were taken and then the tests started,Chest Xray,ECG,Blood Cultures,Urine and all the usual blood testing. My blood pressure was low at 112/68 but it was the pulse rate that was most alarming. I was given oral and infused antibiotics along with 2 units of blood and a bag of platelets which have been at a low level forever and a day. Because of this I began coughing up blood in the sputum and after 24 hours on antibiotics my temperature came down to 36.6 and my heart rate was down to 91 but then during the night everything went pear shaped Temp back up to 38.5 and my heart felt like it was going to burst out of my chest,I've never known anything like this ever. The Doctors decided to administer the strongest Antibiotic they had and one I've previously had and after 2 hours my Temp was back down to 35.9 and pulse at 83 and I felt much better but the Doctors said they wanted to see it stay that way for at least 48 hours which fortunately it has but it was a very unnerving 4 days I can tell you. I have read about Sepsis and Pyrexia before and it is very dangerous if not spotted soon enough,fortunately because of me going to hospital as soon as I started to feel unwell it was caught early and I'm here to type this post. It's potentially life threatening if not treat early and I was lucky. It comes on so fast and catches you unawares, in fact the day before I was fine. I was given GCSF-filgastim injections under the skin and have taken with me 3 different Antibiotics to be taken over the next 7 days. My 2nd cycle of Bendamustine has had to be postponed until I get some strength back.
    And all of this because my blood counts have been flat for so long in particular the Neuts. My veins are totally wrecked with all the needles I've had stuck in me but I'm so glad to be in my own home again. But I hope that my experience is a warning to all,if you feel unwell don't ignore it or waste your time with GP's because time is everything,get into Hospital. And remember even if you feel well and have been for some time you should never take your eye off this disease because it will sneak up on you and bite you hard.

Take care everybody and lot's of good health.

Keith.

susannah
    Participant

Dear Keith What a few ,weve had a few of those with sepsis, terrifying
    to say the least,.Take care of yourself

Thinking of you

Suex

Mothas
    Participant

Keith that sounds horrific.
    I'm glad you are now on the mend and thanks for the post.

Eva
    Participant

Dear Keith,
    Sorry to hear about what you've been through.
    I agree that sepsis is a very dangerous thing. I almost died of scepticemia when I was twenty-four and had an infection that wasn't addressed fast enough in a hospital.
    Hope you will recover better in your home.
    Best,
    Eva

Perkymite
    Participant

Hi Keith, I had NS when I was in hospital recovering from my SCT. It appeared after they took out the Central line very, very nasty. My wife went out and bought a £40 electronic thermometer to ensure that measurements of my temperature, when I came home from hospital, would be accurate.

Kindest regards ? vasbyte.

David

Vicki
    Participant

Blimey Keith

That sounds scary, glad they whipped you into shape again. Got to say when Colin has a temperature of 37.6 (hospital told us to ring if 37.5 or if generally felt unwell irrespective of temperature). Some were on tom the hospital in a flash…..Colin knew this was not a time tom challenge me nagging :-)… Do I ever. My thought is in straight away and get it sorted.

Hope you are feeling better soon and have a great Christmas

Vicki and Colin x

tom
    Participant

Hi Keith

Well what a palava you have had My Friend you are doing this the hard way am afraid so just turn to the right and that is the road you should go down its smoother and softer on the body (i took that turn 😀 )

You are correct even us stuborn folk should not wait, I was told by my Consultant "Dont bother with your Dr if you think it MM related you phone us and come up here (the ward) and I have been doing that for three years and a bit"

Get well and stay well Keith.

Tom "Onwards and Upwards" x

andyg
    Participant

Hi Keith.
    You sure are going through it at the moment! It shows how careful we have to be and to monitor our temperatures regularly. Things can go down hill really fast – NEW MEMBERS PLEASE NOTE – and it's important to ring in with ANY worries.
    I'm glad your back at home now and hope you can stay home over the Christmas and New Year period. I got kicked out my hospital bed last Christmas Eve so just managed to have Christmas at home.
    Hope 2013 is a better year for you Keith.

All the best
    Take care
    Andy & Steph

BADGER
    Participant

Well Keith

you certainly dont do things by half glad you are on the mend now wise advice about gps mine sent me home with pnuemonia and real failure with the instructions to take some paracetamols!!! keep well i hope you can enjoy xmas
    Regards Jo x

HelenR
    Participant

Thanks Keith for taking the time to write on here when you've been through all the mill and are only just discharged!
    Sepsis wasn't something I've heard of, so I've now looked it up. I did know to watch out for a temperature but I didn't really know why – it's important to know about the speed and potential severity of it, plus the fast pulse rate you mentioned.
    Take good care over the coming days and have a good rest at home,
    Helen

Helen
    Participant

Dear Keith
    Really hope you feel better soon and enjoy Christmas, you are so right to emphasise the need to spot things early, it's so easy to let things go ' just a day or 2 ' then have major problems.
    Love Helen

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Neutropenia Sepsis’ is closed to new replies.