New to Forum

This topic contains 13 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Aileeninv 12 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Aileeninv
    Participant

Hi there everyone. Just been diagnosed with Myeloma (9th Sept.) but as yet don't know any more than that. GP was very good at delivering the news but I still need to find out what kind and what treatment. All a bit of a shock:-/ but having had a look at the discussion forum and read lots of the info on the site feel like there's lots 🙂 of support out there.

Perkymite
    Participant

Hi Aileen welcome (?) to our merry band.

You have selected the right site it has bags of information, which is up to date. You will find I think a good bunch of people here from Carers to sufferers and no matter what you are about to go through most likely somebody on here will have done it, bought the tee shirt and thrown it away.

We look forward to you joining in.

Kindest regards ? vasbyte

David

eve
    Participant

Hi Ailleen
    Welcome to the site,i have been on here since February,and must admit in the bad times could not have managed with out it.:-(
    As David says some one is always ahead of you on this journey,I am a carer to my husband,It does take a little bit of time to take in,but my attitude is i want to know everything about this MM,
    So do not hesitate to use this site for any info you need,and welcome to the journey no one wants to make.!!:-P
    Regards Eve

brocho
    Participant

Hi Aileen welcome to our merry band!! It is a huge shock when you are first given the news but as you begin your treatment, if any is needed. things will soon become clearer The info line on here is manned by nursing experts who are only too glad to help with questions Last but not least there are so many lovely people on here to support you when you have queries, feel a bit down or just need a good chuckle at life ! I look forward to reading your posts Bridget

Elizellen
    Participant

Welcome to the club you never asked to join, Aileen!

I am glad you found this website as there are so many others out there which are quite frightening and doomladen.

Luv
    Elizabeth
    XX
    X

Debs
    Participant

Hi Aileen,
    Sorry to hear of your diagnosis but really pleased that you have found this site. I hope that it helps you along this journey that you find yourself on…and that we can help you too.
    Ask any question…none is stupid…we've all been there no matter how much it seems like we use all the jargon…sadly we've learnt it over time.
    Take care
    Debs x

tom
    Participant

Hi Aileen

And a warm welcome from iccle ole me 😀 and as for not knowing type you have joint me as I aint a clue what type i have and i have had it since 2009:-0
    But am gonna find out next time i see my Dr? in about three months I think :-S

Good Luck with your treatment.

Hugs

Tom "Onwards and Upwards" xxx

mhnevill
    Participant

Hi Aileeen

Like everyone else I welcome you (sadly) to this grand site. You will find the hellp and support you need here.

One thing no one has mentioned yet, but which you might have picked up if you have read earlier posts, is that not everyone starts treatment straight away. Don't be worried if they suggest a "wait and see" stratergy – just be glad to stave off the evil day!!! It occurs to me to say this as it is your GP who has diagnosed this so perhaps you have not progressed too far into MM yet. I do hope so, but if not, as others have said, there are plenty of options for treatment out there and things are not so grim as some sites, not regualrly updated, suggest.

When I read some Web Sites in Hospital, when first diagnosed I was seeing 2 – 5 years prognosis. That just isn't the case now, but many sites are still there saying this.

All best wishes to you "for the journey" do keep in touch.

Mavis

alexisw
    Participant

Hello there. So sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I have some idea of how you're feeling as I can still recall the shock when John was diagnosed. We'd never heard of Myeloma and even the consultant was shocked as he thought my husband had something else.

Like you I'm new to posting on the Forum but from the rapid raft of responses you've had I think you'll find a lot of new friends and lots of support very quickly. It's a fabulous repository of experience and information.

Good luck over the coming weeks.

Alexis

ali49
    Participant

Hello Aileen,

After the shock of diagnosis this sites a bit like a life boat isn't it, just climb in and hold on tight!:-/

I was diagnosed in January this year and used to read a lot of the posts on this site but it took me ages to pluck up the courage to join in. I used to read information through my fingers – a bit like watching scary films on TV!!

I've found everybody here really friendly and full of encouraging information so any questions you have.. just ask them!

Best Wishes

Alison

BADGER
    Participant

Hello Aileen

sorry you have had to join this group but welcome you will find all the support and help on this site you amy find it a relief to talk to other sufferes as not many people in the big wide world have heard of it.
    Dont forget the Myeloma uk help line they are brilliant:-)

Keep well love Jo

CarolBradley1
    Participant

Hi Aileen
    Just popped into the site, saw your post and wanted to say welcome but really sorry that you find yourself needing to join us.
    I have found this site to be a huge support and there is always someone who has had experience that they are willing to share with you or perhaps talk over what options etc.
    Sometimes, I have even found myself just "letting off a bit of steam" rather than burdening my poor husband and son and everyone has been really understanding and kind.
    If it helps at all I was diagnosed in 2005 and have had a stem cell transplant, all of which have allowed me to return to riding my lovely horses and doing many of the things I did before.
    There are many and varied treatments out there and many more in the pipeline so take a deep breath and ask anything about anything at all that is worrying you. The smashing people on here are all willing to help wherever they can.
    Thinking of you and sending very best wishes
    love Carol xxxx

Gill
    Participant

Hi Aileen

I am sorry you find yourself using this forum. It is a huge shock to get the diagnosis isn't it? My husband has mm.

He went for Xrays as the orthopaedic surgeon he was referred to by our GP thought he had a trapped nerve. A phone call from the said surgeon at 7.30 a.m on the day Stephen was due to go back to get the results should have rung the alarm bells but I am stupid (Stephen knew it must be serious).

Could we leave all afternoon free as he wanted other doctors to run further tests. The rest is history.

On a brighter note you could not have found a better site than this for support. It is a place where everybody is on your side and, because we are all in the same boat but distant, you can ask questions, moan, cry, scream do all the things that you may not want to do in front of your close family and friends.

Good Luck Gill x

Aileeninv
    Participant

Thanks to every one for your kind and supportive responses:-)My problems started in April with a T10 fracture then an L1 which was thought to be due to osteoporosis. So I spent the next couple of months quite happily thinking I was going to have vertebroplasty to stabilize things. Hey Ho:-S. I've had MRI, CT scans and bone biopsy. All the time not realising anything was wrong but in hind sight I'm quite glad 'cause I wasn't worried about anything. My treatment team are meeting on Thursday to look at my results then I will see them after that to discuss everything. Got my list of questions ready:-S Thanks again everyone:-D

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘New to Forum’ is closed to new replies.