Outpatient HDC/SCT

This topic contains 22 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  lilib 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

davemcg38
    Participant

I have the potential to go for outpatient process for stem cell transplant. Wondered if anyone had experienced this? Worried a little about what set up we need in house and how much pressure would be on my wife to manage all this. We also have kids ( 10 and 15). Worried about risks of them staying and going to school. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

lilib
    Participant

Hello Dave,

I hope that you have managed to get some answers to your questions. It must be a fairly new thing being proposed, as I suspect that they are trying to avoid having clinically vulnerable people spending a couple of weeks in hospital, if at all possible. My husband’s consultant proposed this very option to us this morning, although I gather that in the first instance there will be an appointment to talk it through with the SCT department. He is not quite ready for it at the moment, and we were told the actual treatment (if he decides to go ahead) would be early next year.

We are in a less complicated situation as our children are adults and don’t live near us. It must be very hard for your wife and children, trying to keep everyone safe.

Hope that it all goes to plan.

Lili

davemcg38
    Participant

Thanks Lili. It’s been tough. We are a day away from it all starting. So far so good. We decided to let kids stay with in-laws. Which is def safest but in truth toughest call.

Hope your husband gets through the treatment and whatever decision you guys make gets to remission for a long time.

Also wish you and rest of family all the best. I’m very aware how hard it is for my wife. I’m in constant awe of her strength. I always feel my it’s much harder for the partner, so remember and take time for yourself.

Best of luck with it all

Dave

mulberry
    Participant

I hope it goes well Dave and that your hurdles are easily overcome. Keep in mind that many MM patients agree to have a second SCT despite experiencing the first, and that although we are warned of many unpleasant side effects, most of us only have one or two of them, and one member of our support group had none! I hope you have an ” easy” time.

davemcg38
    Participant

Thanks very much. All things looking good. Just had the walk through.

Thanks for support and thanks for all the support you give across the forum.

Dave

lilib
    Participant

Wishing you all the best, Dave, and hope that it all goes well. Also wishing for your wife that she has a good list of back-up support. That’s the bit I am most worried about myself, as I have absolutely no medical knowledge whatsoever…

hendaz68
    Participant

Hi Dave
    I’ve just seen your post, I hope you are well & hope the treatment went well 🙏.
    I may have to have my SCT as an outpatient I’m going in today to have the stem cells harvested. It’s a bit of a shock to the system to be told this as I had geared myself up to a hospital stay for recover.
    I have to admit I didn’t have problems during my 6 cycles of chemotherapy so fingers crossed for the next part.

I hope you have had a great recovery.

Peter

lilib
    Participant

Good morning, Peter. Just saw your post come up as an alert on my phone. My husband has recently had his stem cells collected and we are waiting for a transplant date. Firstly, I hope all goes well with your collection, but if it doesn’t, don’t panic. My husband’s first attempt at collection failed in that they were not able to get enough. We were, naturally, a bit alarmed at what this meant, but in the end he had to do the priming treatment again a fortnight later, and on the second attempt all went well.

As to the transplant itself, several times during the treatment we were asked if he wanted to do this as an outpatient. Each time I emphasised that I felt unable to do this because I have no ‘back-up’ – no family living nearby – so I would be completely responsible 24/7 and I didn’t think I could offer this. So far, the hospital have accepted that this is the case, and we are proceeding towards a hospital stay of 3 weeks for my husband.

I think your wife needs to be involved in the decision because it puts a lot of responsibility on her. Our hospital hands out a leaflet which says that in order to be eligible for the domiciliary transplant you must live no more than one hour’s drive from the hospital, there must be someone with you all the time who is available to drive you in to the hospital if a problem arises, and anyone who lives in the house with you must isolate for the duration.

Hope that this helps.

I have wondered how things went for Dave. Hope that he is now having a good period of remission and not having to think so much about Myeloma.

Best wishes,

Lili

hendaz68
    Participant

Hi everyone
    Sorry I’ve not been on finished my 6 cycles treatment in April, gave my stem cells to harvest end of June ready to go in Tuesday for high dose chemo for my stem cell transplant today.
    So on Tuesday I went in all prepared for my chemo nurses took bloods & sent off for tests before my treatment only for my neutrophils to be low 😞so they took more to double check & came back the same only to be told the Myeloma had came back the sneaky little bugga.
    Stem cell transplant got cancelled 😞. I am now going in to see consultant on Monday to have further treatment to start plan B so I will keep you all updated.
    I wouldn’t care I’ve been feeling super fit after treatment finished in April I’ve been averaging 5 mile walks everyday & had no problems. So to say I was gutted on Tuesday is an understatement even my consultant can’t believe it as I’ve had no problems during my 6 cycles.
    So nevermind it is what it is positivity all the way & just have to wait to be reborn again 🥰

hendaz68
    Participant

Hiya Lili
    Sorry for the late reply I hope everything is ok?
    I got my stem cells harvested no problem so all stored away for when I can eventually get them transplanted.

Did your husband get his treatment & is all going well 🙏.

Yeah the though of being an outpatient was a bit of weird one we do live around 40mins from the hospital but it is daunting things going through your mind with all of the what is?

Like I say I’m back to see the consultant on Monday to discuss the next kind of treatment.

Hope you are both well & take care.

Peter

Xxxx

mulberry
    Participant

I’m sorry that you’ve had this set back Peter, some one I know very well experienced the exact same thing. He’s just finished another course of treatments, hopefully this time the stem cell transplant will go ahead as scheduled in a few weeks time. N
    Many of us with myeloma have hurdles of one sort or another prior to transplant, another consequence of this being such an individual disease.
    I hope that you have a good response to whatever treatment your doctor plans, and that you manage to enjoy the summer rather more than you would have done had your transplant taken place.

hendaz68
    Participant

Good morning Mulberry,
    Thank you so much, I couldn’t believe it all hooked ready to go for the chemo I felt so healthy even consultant couldn’t believe it as well.

But I suppose it’s part & parcel of having this disease & like you say i am not the only one it’s happened to.

I will let you know what the next course of treatment is as well & how long it will be for 😁. Don’t worry positivity all the way again keeping healthy & strong 🤜❤️🤛

I hope your friend gets his SCT as well soon 🙏. I also hope Dave & Lili’s husband have had successfully carried out their SCT as well 🙏.

Take care everyone.

Peter

Xxxx

lilib
    Participant

Hi there, Peter,

Sorry to pick up on your latest news. As Mulberry said, there are lots of twists and turns in the treatment for Myeloma. My husband has not been in for his SCT yet. He went for a swab test at the hospital a week ago, and on the Monday we were told that his test showed ‘low levels of CoVid’. We absolutely could not believe it. We have lived like hermits for months, neither of us has been ill or shown any symptoms, so I can only think that he picked it up in the hospital whilst visiting the outpatients.

So we carry on waiting for a ‘slot’ now, like grounded aeroplanes in an empty airport…

hendaz68
    Participant

Good morning Lili

Sorry to hear about your husband 😞 I can imagine how disappointed & frustrated you both must be like us we have been living like hermits since November 21 😞

Following strict rules along the way even my walks have been so remote away from everybody 😂.

Stay positive and I’m sure we will all have our stem cells back soon 🙏

Take care

Peter

Xxxx

lilib
    Participant

“I’m sure we will all have our stem cells back soon”

This made me laugh out loud!!!

Thanks, Peter.

xxxx

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.