Outpatient HDC/SCT

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  lilib 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

davemcg38
    Participant

I have the potential to go for outpatient process for stem cell transplant. Wondered if anyone had experienced this? Worried a little about what set up we need in house and how much pressure would be on my wife to manage all this. We also have kids ( 10 and 15). Worried about risks of them staying and going to school. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

lilib
    Participant

Hello Dave,

I hope that you have managed to get some answers to your questions. It must be a fairly new thing being proposed, as I suspect that they are trying to avoid having clinically vulnerable people spending a couple of weeks in hospital, if at all possible. My husband’s consultant proposed this very option to us this morning, although I gather that in the first instance there will be an appointment to talk it through with the SCT department. He is not quite ready for it at the moment, and we were told the actual treatment (if he decides to go ahead) would be early next year.

We are in a less complicated situation as our children are adults and don’t live near us. It must be very hard for your wife and children, trying to keep everyone safe.

Hope that it all goes to plan.

Lili

davemcg38
    Participant

Thanks Lili. It’s been tough. We are a day away from it all starting. So far so good. We decided to let kids stay with in-laws. Which is def safest but in truth toughest call.

Hope your husband gets through the treatment and whatever decision you guys make gets to remission for a long time.

Also wish you and rest of family all the best. I’m very aware how hard it is for my wife. I’m in constant awe of her strength. I always feel my it’s much harder for the partner, so remember and take time for yourself.

Best of luck with it all

Dave

mulberry
    Participant

I hope it goes well Dave and that your hurdles are easily overcome. Keep in mind that many MM patients agree to have a second SCT despite experiencing the first, and that although we are warned of many unpleasant side effects, most of us only have one or two of them, and one member of our support group had none! I hope you have an ” easy” time.

davemcg38
    Participant

Thanks very much. All things looking good. Just had the walk through.

Thanks for support and thanks for all the support you give across the forum.

Dave

lilib
    Participant

Wishing you all the best, Dave, and hope that it all goes well. Also wishing for your wife that she has a good list of back-up support. That’s the bit I am most worried about myself, as I have absolutely no medical knowledge whatsoever…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.