Pins and needles in feet and legs

This topic contains 17 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  grandmat 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

allrelative
    Participant

My sister is 2 years in…has had chemo and stem cells etc… just has Zineta every month.

Every night she experiences pins and needles in her feet which keeps her awake….she looks dreadful from lack of sleep. It is most probably nerve damage consultant has said but never offers her any meds or suggestions on what she can do.

Anyone offer any advice?

taffd
    Participant

Hi,
    This is peripheral neuropathy, I too have it permanently in my feet and lower legs. I take an extra slug of morphine when it gets bad enough to affect my sleep.

Doesn’t get rid of it entirely but helps enough to make a difference and allows sleep.

Best Regards
    Taff

honestjohn
    Participant

I also get the pain in my feet .Ive found that rubbing a little white Tiger balm helps me sleep
    also flight socks help me

davebaz
    Participant

I am a 79 yr old male diagnosed approx 18 months ago with Stage 2 lymphoma/myeloma (IgG light chain) with ribcage lesions and a small pulmonary embolism. I received 8 cycles of Velcade, cyclophosphamide /dexamethasone and Zoledronic acid. Approx. 9 months ago I developed bronchial pneumonia and was hospitalised for 7 days whilst undergoing treatment with antibiotics. I responded well and I am currently now in ”remission” (hamatology status ‘normal’). But more recently, I have developed painful changes (pins and needles )in both heels and more recently quite severe spasmodic pain in my left foot which fits a decription of planar fascitis. This comes and goes unexpectedly and the pain prevents sleep. It only partialy responds to morphine / paracetamol. I would value hearing from anyone with similar painful condition presumably a consequence of a peripheral neuropathy. My consultant has not, so far, been able to suggest any other analgesic treatment.

davebaz
    Participant

I first raised the issue of pins and needles (peripheral neuropathy) last June (see above). Subsequently I developed occasional (one or two episodes per week) of sharp stabbing cramp like pains in one leg lasting 10 – 15 mins. Since then my consultant suggested a course of amitriptyline; an antidepressant drug which has been found of value in treating trigeminal neuralgia and the topical pain associated with shingles. I was started on a lowish dose of 20 mg each night and did think that my discomfort was helped. The dose was increased after several weeks to 40mg nocte following which I have had no more of the acute stabbing pains and the pins and needles have largely abated. I cannot be 100% certain that the amitriptyline is responsible for these improvements and would like to hear if anyone else has had similar findings with this drug

mulberry
    Participant

I have experienced these stabbing leg cramps towards the end of lenalidomide maintenance cycles. I was prescribed quinine sulphate, which worked (but can have serious side effects so may not be for everyone). After a few months I realised that the quinine capsules contained E171 colouring which is banned in much of Europe as it damages the gut microbiome, so I stopped taking it whilst looking for a replacement. Actually the severe leg cramps haven’t returned over the past two cycles without any medication.
    If they come back I’ll discuss amitriptyline with my Dr as a possible treatment.

Anonymous

Hi,

Whilst on DVD treatment earlier this year, I developed pins and needles in my feet and pain when rubbing my hands together or when standing still. I tried using ‘Neuropathy Rubbing Oil’, which contains Frankincense and Myrrh. Also I wore thick, soft socks both day and night. The pain has now gone completely!! This is a great relief, especially with all this hand-washing and rubbing in of sanitising gel etc. I still get what I call ‘fidgety feet’ in the evenings and at night, though which sometimes keeps me awake.

Please note that I was not prescribed the rubbing oil by a doctor – I got the idea by searching for solutions for peripheral neuropathy online. Also from reading the comments above, I think I was fortunate enough to suffer mildly but I’m posting this in case this is of help to anyone. And, Allrelative, I do hope your sister will be able to sleep more comfortably soon.

Rachel

dickb
    Participant

There is another option which is a foot massager, it’s the sort of thing with rotating spiked rings that you roll your feet over, I use it sometimes when I’m going through a particularly bad patch. As for cramps and restless legs, I’ve just resigned myself to being woken up at least 4 times a night.

kezzie1975
    Participant

HELP!!!!! I am in soooo much pain with the nerve pain in my legs and feet 😢 I have tried so many different things to help myself, but up til now I haven’t found anything. I am currently on 300mg, 3 times a day, of Gabapentin, and it isn’t helping as yet. I just really need a nights sleep 😴 I am in tears sometimes as it’s so painful 😣

aburke53
    Participant

My severe PN was Velcade induced. It got so severe that I couldn’t even stand to brush my teeth. Walking more than 10 yards was problematic. I also had PN in my right hand. I was referred to a pain clinic where I was just dosed up with Gabapentin/Pregabalin/Codeine and other pain killers…..to no real effect, and a real addiction to the meds with all the usual side effects. I took things into my own hands and forced myself to walk 25 yards, 50 yards, 100 yards, 1k, 2k….15k, gradually reduced the meds. I noticed that the onset of pain whilst walking was reducing as I walked longer distances and at its most severe after the walks. I also found that ice baths for the feet after walking worked wonders plus a cooling type foot balm. I have since hiked several long distance hikes of over 1000 miles each and after each one the PN improved. I can now jog short distances and play badminton. I still use the ice baths and foot balms. The Docs think that all the walking helped to stimulate the nerves. I’ve tried the compression socks and not sure if they help and I can’t wear them at night as I find them too tight and uncomfortable. I still have some numbness, no pain, only in my right hand.

I realise that my extreme “solution” is not for everyone but I am completely neds free. My takeaway is that stimulating the nerves worked for me. I know some docs opine the opposite and advise rest and warm foot baths.

barrettdg
    Participant

The problem I am having is not my feet but hands. This varies from day to day. They will be ok for a week or two and then suddenly I will get a bout of cramp in one hand or the other which feels like how I imagine rheumatism to be. This usually passes after about five minutes but I do find it is exacerbated by actually using the hands. A couple of days ago was particularly bad and I was getting episodes evry half hour or so. Is anyone noticing the same problem?

grandmat
    Participant

My husband is struggling with pain on his heel on the sole and can’t put his foot to the floor, he has multiple myeloma and been on 5 cycles so far but unsure it’s a hospital problem or out local gp can anyone help thank you

mulberry
    Participant

Hi Grandmat. I think this is something your husband should talk to his Dr or myeloma nurse about. You have raised his problem on a thread about pins and needles in the feet, which suggests he may, or you think he may?, have peripheral neuropathy.
    It is important that this is ruled in or out by the team treating your husband.
    When I started getting loss of feeling and pins and needles in my feet, which happened twice during my treatment, my Dr reduced my myeloma drug (Velcade) on two occasions. In my case I was lucky that my peripheral neuropathy cleared up quickly. I know other patients with peripheral neuropathy where recovery has been gradual over a long period.
    Menthol cooling cream, chilli heating cream, compression socks and revitive type stimulating foot machines have all helped members of our local support group who have peripheral neuropathy.
    If your husband hasn’t got neuropathy, he’s clearly got a problem that equally seriously needs to be addressed. I’ve found my myeloma Dr has been good at signposting me or referring me to the right person when I’ve had an issue which isn’t related to myeloma.

grandmat
    Participant

Hi and thank you for replying, my husband ended up seeing the doctor, she didn’t think it was anything to do with the myeloma she said it was plantar fascia, so thats the road we are going down , he’s a bit grumpy at the moment and fed up but we must keep going , thanks again will keep you informed should it not be what his doctor says he has his next cycle next Wednesday so not long to wait

mulberry
    Participant

Hopefully that’s what it is. I had a Morton’s neuroma which is a similar foot problem diagnosed last year, nothing to do with myeloma. Mine responded to an injection and is fine now, the only problem was waiting for the treatment. I hope your husband’s problem is resolved. I’d always raise other medical issues with the myeloma team, we don’t necessarily know that symptoms are not myeloma related.
    Best wishes
    Jane

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.