Short but sweet

This topic contains 11 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  BigSal 11 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

BigSal
    Participant

Dear all,
    I posted on Newcomers towards the end of December after my dad (Jim) was diagnosed on 13 December and admitted to hospital there and then.

Sadly with him it was all very quick. He was not in good shape when he got his diagnosis, having had a heart attack 2 years ago and in any case being 80.

He had just one cycle of chemo and suffered 2 more heart attacks during those 2 weeks. He consented to radiotherapy on his spine but never got to it, because he contracted a chest infection and never recovered from it. He died in hospital on January 12th, just a month after admission.

I have gained strength and knowledge from this site, and I would really like to emphasise that my dad was not in the best of health when he got his diagnosis, and with his heart problems, the chemo was not going to help. So for him it was mercifully short – although I would have to say, harrowing for those of us at the bedside, despite the kind care and attention of the nursing staff and especially palliative care.

Sal

Grayham
    Participant

Hi Sal…………. thank you for your story.
    I am so sorry for your loss………. my thoughts are with you and yours..

Best regards

Grayham

jmsmyth
    Participant

Dear Sal

So sorry that your dad has lost his battle with this horrible illness. I know it's difficult and maybe hard to hear but it is a blessing that as you say it was "short and sweet". To know that your dear dad is not suffering must be of some comfort to you. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family

Love jean x

mhnevill
    Participant

Dear Sal

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. It is so sad that your Dad lost his battle so soon after starting treatment. I do hope you can take some comfort from the fact that the battle is now over and he is "at peace". I am sure you and your family have lots of happy memories, of times together, to help you at this very difficult and sad time.

Sending you my thoughts and prayers.

Mavis x

tom
    Participant

Dear Sal

Yes I recall your posting about Jim, and am so sorry he lost his Short fight with this dreaded Disease.

I send my condolences to you and your Dad's (Jim) Familay and Friends.
    Keep in touch if yopu wish

Love Tom xxx

jills
    Participant

Dear Sal,

Sorry to hear about your Dad but as he was not in good health at least he did not have to bear pain and the treament which can be very difficult for frail elderly. The various rounds of treatment have certainly taken their toll on my Mum who is 83 and we do sometimes reflect she has spent a lot of the last five years feeling pretty grim due to the drugs rather than the disease.
    Thinking of you and wishing you all the best,

Jillx

BigSal
    Participant

Thank you Grayham, Jean, Mavis, Tom and Jill for your kind replies. I think we are all a little in shock at the speed of everything.

I would say that the nursing staff at the hospital were very good at explaining to us the Liverpool Care Pathway – which has had a lot of bad press – and that it seemed to make sense once he had said "no more treatment". I had read that they "withhold" food and fluids, but that's not the case. He could have anything to eat or drink that he wanted. But I now understand that if you give intravenous fluids to someone whose body isn't processing them, this isn't a good thing.

Just hope this is of some help to anyone in the same sad situation.

Sal

Emma
    Participant

Sal,

I'm so sorry to hear of your dad's passing. My thoughts are with you and your family at this time. The treatment is very tough on even the strongest of bodies. The fact your dad was able to have the choice of whether to continue his treatment is good and I'm glad you were satisfied with the care he received. It is very tough on those loved ones left behind.

Take care,

Love Emma. Xx

Eva
    Participant

Dear Sal,
    I'm really sorry to hear what you've gone through. It was thoughtful of you to let us know what happened. I hope you will be able to get to the stage where the memory of recent events can begin to recede and you can remember your father as he was throughout the years.
    Eva

DaiCro
    Participant

Hi Sal,

I remember your initial post and I wondered then if your Dad would be able to withstand the rigours of MM treatment given his history and the two heart attacks while on treatment,

I am sorry that your Dad had to suffer the bad luck of contracting this awful disease at his age and after fighting to stay ahead of his heart problems… but it is over now and I hope that you and your family can put aside the travails of the last few years and bring to the front the positive and happy memories of the better times with your Dad.

Regards

Dai.

Perkymite
    Participant

My sincere condolences to you, no doubt you have some good memories of your Dad ? keep hold of them. From what you say at least he did not suffer the trials of this awful decease.

May your God walk with you at this difficult time.

Kindest regards ? vasbyte

David

BigSal
    Participant

Thank you Emma, Eva, Dai and David so much for your good wishes. I wish you and your loved ones good health and courage!

Sal x

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Short but sweet’ is closed to new replies.