Spam on the forum

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Perkymite 11 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

webteam
    Keymaster

Hi Folks
    We had a lot more spam messages on the forum over the weekend. Thanks to everyone who pointed these out to me, they have all been zapped. Please keep your eyes peeled for any more, I have no doubt they will return. Email me at the usual address (webteam@myeloma.org.uk) if you spot any.

Cheers
    Stuart
    Myeloma UK WebTeam

Michele
    Participant

Thanks for doing that Stuart.
    Is there any way a more secure firewall of some sort could be put in place to stop these scumbags registering?

webteam
    Keymaster

Hi Michele
    Unfortunately the only way we could make this more secure is to manually approve every single person who wants to join the forum. Even then we would have no way of knowing if someone was going to post spam until they actually did it. These people set up email accounts, use them for a few days to spam and then just set up a new one. It's very frustrating but there's not a huge amount we can do apart from keeping our eyes peeled and deleting the accounts as they occur.

Hope that helps,
    Stuart.

Min
    Participant

Might I suggest that the fraud squad be informed of this particular spam as I'm sure someone will be using them . If they already know of them they should be closing it down
    Min

webteam
    Keymaster

Hi Min
    The problem is these people will be based overseas and are virtually untraceable. They may not even be selling anything, just luring people onto a website loaded with viruses or trying to get details for identity theft.

The individuals doing this won't even be aware of who we are. They will have some system that scans the web for forums, they log in, copy and paste their message and move on to the next forum. One of the joys of being connected to the world!

I've set up a system that monitors our forum for certain words and sends me an email when suspected spam is posted. It's not fool proof but it should at least help me keep an eye on things.

Cheers
    Stuart

DaiCro
    Participant

Hi All,

I know these spam posts are a nuisance.but all we need to do is to go into a subject heading and bump up the previous message… Just write 'bump' and post.

A couple of bumps each from the first few on board and we will have our board back and it will look more welcoming as well.

Just an idea.

Dai.

tom
    Participant

Well said That Dai 😀 I never thought of that as i have normally just ignored them :-S , but your Idea will work 😎

Tom

Perkymite
    Participant

+1 Dai. (I notice the youngsters put +1 when they agree with something on a forum so being every young I thought I would too).

Kindest regards – Vasbyte

David

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Spam on the forum’ is closed to new replies.