Teeth.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  ozzy 11 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

sandydeli
    Participant

I was just wondering if any one had problems with their teeth after stem cell transplant ?? And if they'd had any taken out ?? If so was there any infection afterwards ???
    Sandra.

tom
    Participant

Morning Sandra the only problem I know about is when you are haveing Zometa and you cant have teeth taken out at dentist have to go to the hospital (think fillings are OK but always worth a check with dentist.

Love Tom "Onwards and Upwards" xxx

Michele
    Participant

Hi Sandra

The only thing I can remember with my teeth was that when I was on CDT, they seemed to "rattle" a bit and made little clicky noises!

I didn't lose any though fortunately. My dentist is fully aware of all I've had done and knows I'm having Zometa.
    Tom's right, fillings etc. are OK, it's just extractions that are risky.

I'm determined to grimly cling on to mine and clean and floss them every day! 🙂

DaiCro
    Participant

Hi Sandra,

I had an extraction of one tooth before my SCT… my consultant did not want me going through the SCT with a dodgy tooth which was actively giving me trouble.:-P

I had the extraction done by a Doctor/Dentist at the Queen's Medical Centre, Nottingham under theatre conditions, with two nurses in attendance. It was the most painless, bloodless extraction I have ever had. I was kept lying down on a bed in a recovery room for two hours where X-rays were taken post-op and after a thorough but extremely gentle examination I was let home with a week's worth of anti-biotics.8-)

I know that most NHS and Private dentists don't want to know once you mention MM… so If you have to have a post-SCT extraction I am sure that the same or similar treatment will be extended to you. 🙂

Dai.

tishwish
    Participant

Hi sandra

My husband Peter had to have some dental work done and he was already on Zometa infusions. It was felt that he really needed to have 2 extractions done and he was referred by his consultant to the dental hospital at Hull Royal. The reply from them was that under no conditions would they do the work or allow his dentist to do work. Peter went on to have gold crowns fitted as this was felt to be the best option.The gums do not heal if you are on Zometa.
    Hope all goes well with your dental work

Love Trish x

tinkerbell
    Participant

As a member of the dental world the advice that we are given is – routine dental treatment ie consultations, restorative treatments and scaling and polishing are fine to have carried out by your regular dentist while having Zometa. The reason that extractions are carried out in a hospital setting is the risk of osteonecrosis of the jaw bone (where it dies, this is less likely the more sterile the enviroment you work under (obviously be quite difficult to have your own mini theatre in most routine surgeries) and the antibiotics are prescribed afterwards to try and prevent the osteonecrosis. This is a rare condidtion but a recognized side effect of IV bisphospenates and less likely to happen if you are on oral bisphospenates. The hospital team are more specifically trained in dealing with this type of medical complication in the same way that your GDP is better at preparing and fitting a crown or making a set of dentures – it takes everyone to make up a team. Hope this helps

RobyS
    Participant

Hi Sandra,

I have been on Zomita for a good couple of years, and unfortunately I was not warned about the problem of Osteonecrosis of the Jaw before treatment, otherwise I would have had one wobbly and one broken teeth out.
    But as it is I am still waiting for the wobbly tooth to fall out on its own, (I resist the temptation of pulling it out!) and I had a crown on the broken tooth which seems quiet for now.
    There are two things one can do to avoid too many problems with teeth. First is the 2800 part fluoride toothpaste from Colgate (available on prescription so talk to your doctor). Whatever the risks, it helps keep the teeth healthy. The second is general but thorough mouth hygiene (I also use diluted hydrogen peroxide less than 2%, and bicarbonate of soda) and , touch wood, it seems to work!

These are the only problems I have encountered, apart from the warning that chemotherapy sessions make teeth brittle, so stay away from nut crunching.

All the best

Roby

Perkymite
    Participant

I am on loron and have been since July 2009. I recently had a problem with one of my teeth and I was told that for an extraction I must stop taking loron for 1 month and could not start it for 2 months. As it happened the dentist managed to fill it in and all has been ok ever since.

Kinde regards – vasbyte

David

mhnevill
    Participant

Hi all

Interested in discussion as I am waiting for an appointment to come to have two roots out in hospital as dentist can't do it because I am on Zometa. It has proved a real nuisance as I am having quite a bit of discomfort and have already been waiting five weeks to hear.

Best wishes.

Mavis

ozzy
    Participant

Hiya

I had to have three teeth out before I had my sct. I had to go to the hospital dentist to check it out first but my normal dentist in town took them out. I am taking Bonefos and wasn't advised to stop taking them.I had no problems with bleeding.

Ozzy

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Teeth.’ is closed to new replies.